Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tina Sanders Blog Post 1

Viva The Revolution! By Tina Sanders

I absolutely loved the TED talk by Ken Robinson! He is bold enough to say what he means and means what he says. To have the platform he has is a huge responsibility and he does an outstanding job making his purpose known. One reason I chose to enroll in this program was because I recognized that education was headed down a dark path. Our school has been an IB school for 18 years and through that I was able to carve out units that the students loved learning about. This made for energetic, enthusiastic learners. Now, unfortunately, our school will no longer be IB so I wanted to find another program that would allow me to engage my learners in ways beyond the textbook and stale unit plans. When, I heard about this add on certificate, I was ecstatic! I knew that my prayers had been answered and that this was where my heart was.

In the early childhood classroom, it is one of my main jobs to get students excited about learning. Ted has given me fuel for my fire to motivate me to search for ways of motivating my students to want to learn. I don’t want to teach subjects in isolation when integration is key to whole child learning. I am concerned about learning the differences between IB and PBL and not confusing the two. Change is inevitable and change has come. Now, I need to get up and get moving my students toward a future of cooperative learning for a successful future. I am also a bit worried about how to create units within the given strict time-tables that Greenville has chosen to set forth for us this year. I would love some help from the group looking at ways to make it work while staying in line with my grade level team as much as possible without blocking the flow of PBL.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    I appreciate so very much who you are as an educator and your willingness to embark on a new learning journey in order to provide your students with educational experiences that are engaging and exciting for them. Reading that you chose this class and the endorsement not to self promote but to provide a path of validation for you to continue to teach in the ways that you know provide students with opportunities that engage and challenge them. I agree with you 100% that effective education generates excitement for learning. While I know that you have a very real concern with creating pbl experiences that also fit within the time frames of the district's scope and sequence, I know that the hard part of figuring out the path for pbl within the existing structure is worth the effort it will take and it is clear that what motivates you through working through the hard parts is your love for your students but also your own personal buy in to the pbl approach to teaching.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete