Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Alana McSharry- Blog 6- Workshop for K4 Teachers in Spartanburg

At the end of the fall class Dawn asked me to present Exercise, Eat, Sleep and Be Healthy to a group of K4 teachers at a school in Spartanburg. It was the first time that I would present a workshop to other teachers and I was nervous about the whole experience. I gathered all of my students' products, my books and my computer and drove to Spartanburg with a sense of nervousness and excitement. The principal of the school walked me to the library where there were about eight to ten teachers waiting on me. The principal was kind and informative about her K4 program as we walked to the library. Dawn introduced me to the teachers and I began the workshop. I presented the project using the PowerPoint I created during the fall class. Throughout the presentation I talked about my students and how they moved through the project. I passed out some of the books I read to the students to help them learn about healthy habits. I also gave the teachers the opportunity to read the students' healthy habit books. I passed out three examples of the books which demonstrated the different levels of the students in my class. At the end of the workshop I showed the videos created by the students. One video was about staying clean and the other video was about how exercise is fun. I think the teachers enjoyed the workshop and found it helpful. I offered the teachers the planner for the project and also gave them the opportunity to ask questions about the project. I enjoyed the whole experience and it was a confidence builder for me. I appreciated Dawn giving me the opportunity to share Exercise, Eat, Sleep and Be Happy to a group of colleagues.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alana,
    I appreciate so much your willingness to present to our teachers at the CDC last fall. I know that it was the first time you had presented a workshop to teachers and I am so very thankful that in spite of nerves and the drive to Spartanburg you came anyway and I am so glad you did. Teachers were thankful to have a preschool teacher share what you planned, how it worked, and what you learned with them. You should know that many of them have implemented your unit you shared and are open to pbl implementation. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Alana! It sounds like you did a great job! I'm glad it went well. The fact that many of the teachers in attendance implemented your unit says how much they enjoyed your presentation. I'm hoping to do a workshop next school year for the CDC in district 7. I may call on you for pointers!

    ReplyDelete