Sunday, April 21, 2019

Tina Sanders - Anderson Mill PBL Workshop Post


Anderson Mill PBL Workshop Presentation
By: Tina Sanders

Overview: I explained my project step by step from the simple to more complex, educating the teachers on my process.
1. Explanation of PBL proposal.
2. 1st Steps = Student Engagement Piece: How did I get the students excited about what they would learn? (Bullfrog Video)
3. Progression of PBL = I chronicled the highlights of the unit from beginning to end.
            A. Engagement Piece (Mentioned Above)
            B. Extension
·      Research - One video per day that taught students about the animal of the day.   (Each day, the students wrote a simple book listing at least 2 facts about it.)
·      Directed Drawings - Arthubforkids.com Students drew the animal (These drawings were created in the book mentioned above.)
·      Food Chain Introduction – Throughout the unit research, we discovered what each animal ate.
·      3D Animal Creations – Families worked to create a three dimensional representation of their chosen animal. (Those who did not bring one in, were assisted in creation by a teacher – Ex. Alligator)
·      Dioramas – Families worked to create these highlighting their animal’s place in the pond along with the animal’s food.
·      Food Chain Extensions -                                     Homework: Students discussed with their parents their animal’s place in the food chain. Then share with the class.
Game: Students acted out a living food chain.
Link: Students completed the page demonstrating where their animal fits on the food chain.
·      Choice/Voice: – Students were given their 1st choice in the beginning of the unit when they were allowed to pick an animal they were interested in learning about. At the end, they were able to choose – which product they wanted to share with students, teachers and parents and which piece of technology they wanted to use to share it on. (Paper/Pencil Creation, Video, Chatterpix, Seesaw, etc.) Student Choice/Voice were highlighted throughout this unit.
4. Documentation Sharing – I brought student product samples
                        (3D animals, books, Dioramas, etc.)
                        Pictures and Videos of unit were shown by Dawn.
5. Question and Answer Period – I was excited to see that they
                        were willing to picture themselves teaching a PBL
                        next year. I am also glad that they connected the
                        fact that if I could do this with 26 students, they
                        could definitely do it with 18-20 students.


Reflection: I actually feel like I learned as much from this process as I hope the Anderson Mill teachers learned from me. I am encouraged to know that there are schools who are on board with such inquiry methods and that hopefully, mine will one day go back in that general direction.  Reflecting through my unit once again, gave me even more insight into ways to further improve this unit for next year. I enjoyed being a voice for change. Thank you Dawn for allowing me this opportunity to reach others in such a meaningful way.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina,
    I want to thank you so very much for taking time out of your spring break to drive out to Spartanburg and share with our kindergarten teachers your pbl experiences. It meant a lot to them to hear from a public school preschool teacher who has implemented pbl effectively. The student examples of their products they created including their books, their 3 D animals, and their dioramas really showed that students did the work and could do the work. I wanted to share with you that our next meeting all five of the teachers signed up to take the pbl endorsement course next year. Thank you! I am glad that it was beneficial to you as well! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete