Friday, April 19, 2019

Tina Sanders PBL Revision Blog Post


Puttering Around The Pond Revisions: I am going to attempt to have live animals in the classrooms during this unit. I did this before with a similar IB unit and the kids loved it! The difference is that my previous assistant was really into caring for animals. So, she had several that she could bring in to get the kids excited about the pond. She had a newt, a chameleon, some fish, etc. I am going to begin much earlier so that I can hopefully have these already set up prior to the beginning of the unit. I will send out an email to the staff at my school to see if anyone has any caged pets that they wouldn’t mind our class borrowing for a few weeks. A former student helper was going to find some newts in a local creek, but due to the weather, he was unable to catch any. I will also go to a local pet show to see if I can find any baby turtles or chicks to observe. I really think this is part of what was lacking this year.  That will give the kids some “eyes-on/hands-on” experiences. I also want to try to hatch chicks again. We were not successful last year, but I would like to try again. I felt that I had too much riding on it to try it again this year.

Overall, this unit was a huge success. I just think with these additions, it will be even more successful.

2 comments:

  1. I would just love to be in your class, Tina! (Or have my future children be taught by you!) You are always looking for ways to make you classroom and your lessons more engaging, and I love the idea of having animals come for a visit. Despite the effort, coordination, and downright hassle it might be in some ways, you are willing to go the distance to make your classroom the most exciting place it can be for your learners. They may not be old enough to appreciate it, but I know their parents do and your colleagues are inspired by your dedication to these kiddos! Keep doing what you're doing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    Oh my goodness, I absolutely love the idea of bringing in live pond animals and plants to your classroom for next year's pbl unit. I know how much my own children love seeing animals up close and while I know first hand this can be a challenge to make happen it is worth the effort in student engagement and interest. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete