Saturday, September 23, 2017

Clark H. Maxwell Course 2 post 1

Chapter 2

     I think that knowing your students in PE is important, but I go about it in a slightly different way.  I tend to observe the way they carry themselves, do they talk to anyone while we are warming up, they way they walk,  they way they run, their posture, etc.  This comes from years of coaching and evaluating players.  It helps me to recognize who I may need to give extra attention to.  I have been doing this a long time, so I am starting to teach some of the kids of students I have taught in the past.  The few that I don't know, I talk to them.  Students will tell you things if you just listen.  For a good many of mine, no one does.  So me just listening allows them to open up and eventually trust me.  The data I've collected so far helps me to plan what exercises will be most beneficial for my students to improve their scores.


Chapter 3

     Well, my classroom is pretty much set up for one thing, basketball.  Fortunately, we have two gyms, so space is not an issue.  If anything, I wish we had more heavy ropes, mats, and medicine balls.  But just those 2 are fairly expensive, so I make do with what we have.  I use station work to keep things organized, and to keep the chaos going in one direction.

3 comments:

  1. If money weren't an issue, we could get so much accomplished with our students, couldn't we? I wonder if you've considered using the student-driven Donors Choose grants to help get some additional materials in your classroom. Could that even work as a PBL? And the thank you package required would fall right into place with the elements of the PBL and discovering if the materials worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in one semester, I have learned that just listening to students goes a long way. My students were comfortable with me to share their many stories, good and bad. I feel that my students thought of my class a safe place to share. Keep listening, the students love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Max,
    I appreciate the way you use observation and intuition as well as your previous experiences and interactions with students to get to know them and to connect with them. You made a powerful statement in your reflection that you make a point to speak one on one with students who are new or who you haven't taught before because many times no one else does. Middle school can be a lonely time for students as they work to build relationships with a peer group and fit in, because many times that leaves kids out. I am thankful that our middle school students at FMS come through your gym and get a personal connection. That is everything!
    If I can help support your securing of the p.e. equipment you suggested let me know. Donors Choose is a great source for grant money for specific materials like the ones you mentioned. If I can help you write a quick grant for these materials let me know.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete