Saturday, September 23, 2017

Course 2 Post 1

 Chapter 2- The Inquiring Human Animal

Knowing my students helps me to jump start their learning and motivate them by incorporating things that they are interested in into my lessons. Knowing my students also helps me to make lessons more relevant to the students everyday life. It allows me to form a bond with my students which helps me gain their trust and allows me to look deeper into their lives so I can present them with opportunities that may be beneficial to their learning.

Chapter 3- Making the World Safe for Thinking

If I could enhance my classrooms physical environment, there is so much that I would do. I would add more space for interactive learning. I would add more individual desk that can be arranged in a variety of ways. I would put different types of seats (like stability balls and chairs with pedals) in my class that would help my students who have a hard time staying still focus. There would also be desk for students who like to stand while learning so everyone in the class can be comfortable while learning. Doing all of this will give the students more flexibility over how they learn, hopefully creating a warm and inviting classroom environment full of exploring while learning.

4 comments:

  1. I love stability balls in the classroom! I have one, and I'd like to get more because they help those students who just absolutely must move. I've never heard of chairs with pedals. That sounds cool! I also want high tables. I've incorporated bean bags and floor cushions into my setup, and students are able to stay there for the whole class as long as they pay attention and don't fall asleep. I love hearing that someone else is looking to do similar arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of stability balls. That goes back to making peace with fidgeting. I feel that my students would work so much better if they could sit and bounce. It will keep them awake and engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Makisha,
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Chapter 2 and 3. I am glad that you agree with me that when we know our students' interests and abilities we can not only connect our instruction in meaningful ways to who they are and how they learn, but as you said we can form bonds with them that not only provide intrinsic motivation for learning but also help improve classroom management and collaboration.
    You shared in your Chapter 3 section how you would love to try some options for flexible seating within your classroom. I would love to help provide support for you to try many of the options you mentioned out with a Donor's Choose grant. There are a lot of flexible seating DC grants out there that we can tweak for you. Check with Duello and Woodson and see what their thoughts are on this possibility and we can move forward from there.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you in the fact that classrooms must grow in size if we continue to get more students. Space is so crucial especially at Fairforest where it feels like every class is busting! I cannot wait for the new building where hopefully some of your classroom wishes will come true!

    ReplyDelete