Monday, September 25, 2017

Course 02 - Blog 01 - Smith, Robert

Chapter 02

Teachers already know what we have to teach through our state standards. Those guidelines are solid; those documents approved. Teachers know when we have to teach based on our schedules. We know what period we have to teach an advanced course, honors course, or college prepatary course. However, before we figure out how to teach our content we need to know who we are teaching to going beyond raw numbers like free lunch status or ethnicity. I believe that before I can teach a lesson, I need to understand as many of those students who sit before me as I can. I have to prove to them that I have an interest in and possess more than a passing understanding of their cultures, their religions, their politics, etc. before I can get them to devote their time to listening to me. Making connections with students is my greatest strength.

Chapter 03

If I could enhance my classrooms environment, I trade my one-piece desks in for two-piece desks. I am better able to use two-piece desks for interactive learning. I would add more desks and tables. I would bring in different types of chairs and couches. I would install a refrigerator for drinks. I hope that by providing the most relaxing environment that I can, I would allow learners to be able to concentrate completely on what they are doing and not where they are sitting.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the change of seating. Desks can form tables but it would be nice to have something more collaborative. Try using the library tables more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you said that you prove to them that you have more than a passing understanding of things about them before they'll devote their time to listening to you. I also agree that forming connections with students is one of the most important things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert,
    I have seen how forming relationships with your students is one of your biggest strengths and I am glad that you share the belief with me that knowing who we teach is just as important as knowing the content of what we teach.
    You shared how your ideal classroom would be more functional, providing students with more desk space and comfortable seating. I agree that seeing the classroom environment through a students' perspective helps us consider ways to make the environment a shared learning space.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete