Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Savannah Griffith Course 2 Blog Post 1



Chapter 2:

While reading chapter two, in table 2.1, I found it interesting how the authors stated that, "human brains are as unique as faces." This statement rings true throughout my classes. I am amazed at the different personalities, likes, dislikes, and everything in between that my students embody. My eight grade students are studying self-portraits and I explained to them how there is nobody in the world just like them. This chapter helped me understand how I must truly view my students as more than a group but as uniquely different minds and thoughts.
  Of all the five W's I would have to say that WHO I teach is by far the most important to me. I teach at a title one, primarily minority school. Many of these children come from difficult home lives, where some do not know when their next meal will be. I try to remember this at all times. Even when they are driving me crazy!


Chapter 3:


          If I could change my classroom to better gear it towards PBL I would first want a bigger classroom. I know most think my classroom is already very big compared to most but it would be nice to divide the room into large sections or centers to encourage student choice. I also would like some individual seating for students, because right now I only have large tables. It does work well for student collaboration, however some students may choose to work alone on certain steps and want their own space. I would like to have a reading/ research area that students could truly invest time in and have discovery on their own. I feel that if my classroom had space to walk around students would be less likely to wander around the room. I feel that these things would enhance the learning environment for students! I want to focus my learning environment, teaching, etc. around the best interests for my students! I truly enjoyed reading this chapter and reinforcing what I have learned so far in this course!

4 comments:

  1. I love your ideas for your PBL classroom. The reading/research area is a great idea! I also need to remember that every student has their own unique abilities that they bring to the classroom and group work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah,
    I loved reading about how you are ensuring that you are teaching your students to embrace their individuality through the self-portrait art project. I appreciate the ways that you are taking time to get to know them through these first nine weeks. I also really like your idea for providing students with spaces in your classroom to work individually as well as to work at the large group tables.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savannah,
    Your comments are definitely from the heart. I love your statements about chapter two. The children are individuals and need individual attention. It's so easy to see the group instead of that one wonderful spark. They will remember you for your kindness and patience. You are seeing the "who" in your students.
    Maybe when we get to the new school, we will have room for classes to work as a group and individually in the same room. That will definitely be a plus. I'm sure your dream will happen in 2019.

    ReplyDelete