Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Tina Sanders Blog Post 2

Tina Sanders Post 2
The main Course is the PBL while the dessert is just a project. PBL is the whole pie while the project is just a piece of pie. Over the years I have had my students perform many different projects to show something they learned at the end of a unit. 
In the PBL format, student learning can be documented throughout the entire process. It is not a sit and get. Students are working cooperatively to create their own learning.A main course PBL teaches specific standards and requires higher level thinking. It is best practice. It is not a program it is an instructional strategy that allows for inquiry and student voice and choice.

Giving students choices for how and/or what they learn is crucial to help them be and stay engaged. Using the backwards design helps you begin with the end in mind so that you know where you are going, how they are going to get there and where you need them to end up. For each PBL, I will create a chart and do a gallery walk to get feedback from other teachers. I love the way this worked today. 

I will need administrative support for my PBL and the freedom to move standards around based on my PBL timeline. I will need to know what the students should be able to do in order to be successful. I will need the support of Dawn and my cohort group. I will also need books on the subjects I will be covering.

I had the opportunity to share my vision with my teammates tonight. I told them about our activities today and how I was able to unpack the standards to integrate for our Magnet unit. They were excited and wanted to hear more about the process. I have also had a conversation with my principal about this course and why it is important to me. She was excited that I was pursuing this add on certificate. I am encouraged by that and look forward to many more conversations explaining my rationale.

6 comments:

  1. Tina,
    I agree. Instructing through PBL is best practice and is what is best for kids! I am so excited that your team and administration are excited and will support you through the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're already sharing your work with your team and your administration, AND that they are supportive! Your principal will see how this impacts your students. It will be an exciting year for you, your students, and your school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that you had an opportunity to share with your colleagues tonight. Bringing new ideas to peers can be scary sometimes, but it sounds like yours were well received. This will open up so many new ideas for your team and your students. Also, having the support of your principal means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I taught first and second grades, I too did big projects at the end of units. I'm looking forward to serving the "Main Course" as well. It's great that you shared what you are learning with your team, and I hope they all jump on board with you. One of the things I miss about not being in "the big school" setting on a daily basis is being part of a grade level team. That's why I love being able to share, collaborate, and get feedback from all of the wonderful educators in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina Sanders Blog 3
    Video 1:
    1-One problem that may arise is what if a student is absent? How will that student be able to make up the work. Especially in the lower grades where most of what we do is hands on. In addition,is the fact that PBL lends itself to collaboration which is difficult to do when you are missing from your group work time.



    2-I am unsure of how to fix this problem in K5. I guess other groups could work on their product as a small group as designed. While the group with the missing partner could still work but leave the missing person's job for them to complete when they return.
    3- I am thinking that the teacher would need to keep a checklist of students engagement observations to ensure that students are collaborating effectively and that each one is doing their part to foster a successful learning experience.

    Video 2
    1-Value of Assessing - This is an invaluable tool that allows students to reflect on their learning throughout the project in addition to improving on their quality of work. If they have a bad day, they can still be successful on the overall project on future dates.

    2. Great Teacher feedback is given when teacher asks quality higher level thinking questions as well as making encouraging statements along with questions that make students think further on their part of the process. "I like that, but remember your job as leader is to bring it all together." and "That's good, it looks like you are working hard."

    3-Ownership through peer assessment- Students who are listening to the group presentations have to be on task and involved during the other student's group presentations. The teacher modeled all of the time reminding the evaluators what they will be looking for.

    SC Graduate:
    PBL fills the holes left by the abandonment of teaching to the whole child that Early Childhood used as a framework years ago that allowed us to teach using our judgement based on what your students needed. This is perfect for filling in those empty spaces that need extra attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,
    I loved how you summed up the article in your first sentence..."The project at the end approach is just a piece of the pie, but pbl is truly the whole pie." Yes!
    I am glad that you found the gallery walk beneficial to your planning process and plan to use this with your pbl unit as well as with your teachers. This has been one of the most helpful tools for me in the planning process and for my students during their planning process. I appreciate your enthusiasm for this work and the time and thought you are putting in during class but also outside of class, sharing your work with your colleagues and administration. This not only helps them provide support for your pbl implementation but it also generates their own understanding and appreciation for the pbl process.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete