Wednesday, May 1, 2019

#3: JL Mann visit

I enjoyed seeing PBL in action at a high school.  The classes I observed were all very different, but the thing they had in common was a sense of ease.  The students knew what they needed to do, the expectations were clearly outlined, and the teacher acted as a facilitator.  We saw a project that involved science and comic strips/graphic novels.  We saw Spanish videos explaining dress code.  We saw the very beginnings of a new project in Language Arts, and the completed version of an etiquette book.  The students I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in what they were doing.  My favorite thing to see in PBL learning styles is the interaction and problem solving.  It's much more conducive to real-life situations.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    I am glad that you enjoyed our visit to J.L. Mann. Like you, I appreciated how consistent the routines were for students to be self-directed such as the use of the learning labs and open spaces and the transitions between team taught classes and traditional classes. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete