Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Kathy's Blog Post 5


Kathy Feigenbaum
Blog #5
PBL Workshop/Brochure
For the PBLworkshop, I ended up creating a brochure about my PBL experience to share with other teachers at my school. We are crunched for time with meetings about testing, so I didn’t want to add to the overall stress level. I sent out an email with a link to the Power Point launch I used for my recent PBL about fashion. Since the teachers had helped by posing for pictures for the presentation, I wanted them to get a look at that. I also put a copy of my brochure in their mailboxes and encouraged them to ask questions. A science teacher indicated that she really likes the idea but has concerns about meeting all the standard. Another Spanish teacher says she wants to talk in-depth this summer about plans for next year. Another 6th grade teacher said, “ Thank you for sharing your ideas from the PBL workshop.  I like the ideas you presented about making the project personal so it is more meaningful for students.  Also, I agree with your ideas about learning how to properly collaborate in middle school benefits students in later years.  PBL is a great way to get students excited about taking ownership of their learning.
Thank you for sharing,”
 Then several teachers said, “I liked your brochure!” (Thanks.)
I’m glad to get a little publicity out there, since this time last year no one I spoke with knew what PBL is! I was considering the convocation at Furman (last June) before deciding to participate in this consortium. I am glad I did! And hopefully I’ll inspire other teachers at my school.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great way to share information with your school, especially when we are all feeling the crunch of time right now. What's nice is that those that are interested may come to you with more questions since they know you have the experience. Also, you can always build on it later since you've established the context and share more information with them. I have loved being in class with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    You did an outstanding job on your pbl brochure. I was able to read it during our last class and was impressed with the time and thought you put into the design and creation of it. I also know that your colleagues appreciated that you gave them the brochure to view and to inquire about rather than a presentation during planning time. From the feedback you received from your colleagues it appears that the brochure did what it was intended to do in generating interest and collaboration in pbl for the future. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete