Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Tieraney G. Rice Post #7: What I Used To Think.....But Now I Know.

Wow!  I really can't believe that this cohort experience is coming to an end.  I have thoroughly enjoyed working with this great group of educators.  This experience was very beneficial for me as a professional, and is one I'll always remember.

WHAT I USED TO THINK........
After learning about the various phases of PBL last summer when the cohort started, I thought "maybe the PBL approach would be a little much for preschoolers to handle."  I thought, "maybe my little people are not ready to handle working collaboratively or even making decisions about their learning."  Because of these thoughts, I approached the project in the fall with a lot of nervousness!  But, to my surprise, I was very wrong!

NOW I KNOW........
Not only were my little people ready, but they exceeded my expectations with their questions and discoveries throughout the fall and spring projects!  Now I know they can totally do it!  Now I know that unlike older students, little people need a little more teacher direction throughout a project.  Preschool teachers have to work hard to allow as much student-led instruction as possible, but keep in mind that the students will still need some teacher direction.  Now I know that I'm ready to go full force with PBL next school year!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tieraney,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in this cohort with you and watching throughout the year how you've implemented project based learning with your preschool students. I am glad that your students showed that they were able to learn through discovery and inquiry and that they enjoyed it. I appreciated so very much how you shared with our group that while preschool students do require more assistance they can thrive with opportunities to drive their own learning. I love that you are ready to go full force with PBL next year!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete