Thursday, May 2, 2019

#5 What I Knew Then/What I Know Now

I knew that...
I wanted to do this PBL with my 6th graders.
the structure and time frame would be modified from last time.
composition would be involved to cover one of our state standards.
there would be a performance component as well.
I would be pairing with the Social Studies teachers for background information.
I could use this as a bridge to music theory.

I know now that...
condensing my PBL time frame in to a more compact period made continuity so much easier.
students need WAAAAAY more assistance with composition than I realized.
getting them to be creative and work on their own is challenging.
they really enjoyed the background knowledge.
it gave them a more real investment in to their social studies unit.
I can set high expectations for them and they will rise to meet them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    Thank you for taking time to reflect on your pbl journey this semester. I am glad that condensing the time frame made the implementation easier. My favorite part of this project was the composing part and how they had a chance to actually create an original piece of music that sampled an ancient piece of music. I know getting to the finished project required a lot of support which also meant a lot of time and management and facilitation. I 100% agree that this unit integrated well with their sixth grade social studies and I hope that these people thanked you for the real world connections. I know your students enjoyed the unit even if at their pre-teen age they weren't yet capable of expressing it. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete