Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sarah Garner; Blog 4

1)      The critical friends protocol can help teachers become more reflective of their teaching practices by allowing other teachers to present likes and dislikes. It makes you aware of what will work and not work based on others teacher’s experience in their classroom. It challenges teachers to improve upon their teaching practices.
2)      The conditions that should be in place is small groups. A teacher is less defensive when they are presenting their project to a smaller group. In addition, the teacher presenting cannot respond when the other teachers are giving feedback. Another condition is collaboration on how to incorporate the strategies into the classroom and the project.
3)      I could use this protocol with students when they are presenting their ideas for their house plans. The students can say what they like about another groups idea and give suggestions on how to improve it.

4)      Two protocols I am using in my unit is the “Coach and Rally” protocol and the “Gallery Walk” protocol. 

3 comments:

  1. Small groups--Yes! I'll admit that I feared we were going to do this with the entire cohort, which made me think about my students. It's important we ask them to participate because they can receive valuable feedback, but I believe this needs to be done with small groups, both for the ease of monitoring and for that student's ease of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your answer for question one. Teachers are constantly growing and learning and this certainly aids in the process. I want to improve and using this method is faster and maybe better than reading a book about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I am glad that you have found the critical friends protocol to be beneficial to you and to your students and are considering it as a possibility for your pbl house unit. Like you I like to implement critical friends within a small group setting after modeling it and introducing it whole group first.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete