Monday, December 11, 2017

Blog Post #4- Genius Hour Sarah Kate Chatel/ Higgins

I enjoyed implementing the Genius Hour Project within my resource classroom. I allowed my students to have complete choice in the area that they research. I noticed that complete choice sparked the interest of many students, but some students struggled with the lack of structure and had a difficult time picking a specific area. I did provide students with an outlined book that lead them through the process of a genius hour by having them think of a topic of interest, develop three guiding questions and  research those specific areas. I loved watching students learn more about something that interests them. I look forward to incorporating their areas of interest and research into my resource math classroom.
 I loved having the book as a support for my students in order to document what they learned and where they found the information. The next time I plan on implementing a genius hour I would like to have my students use the book as a guide and have more choice within the format for presentation. I can see students enjoying creating a power point, poster, or prezi in order to present their genius hour instead of just straight from the book. I believe that by giving the students choice, it would allow for more creativity and enthusiasm among my students. I would also plan on narrowing the area of research and would love to have students research a college of interest that would provide them a degree or pathway into the career of interest that they did a mock interview for. I look forward to continuing to provide genius hour opportunities within my classroom in the future

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that you said when you allowed students to have complete choice in the area they could research that some students enjoyed this freedom but many struggled with the lack of structure and had a difficult time picking a specific area.

    I found this to be the same obstacle I had to overcome in my Civics class Genius Hour. When given complete freedom any students were unable to pick a suitable topic to research. So the next time we did the same research I had a list of alternative ideas for students who needed help narrowing down suitable topics. It seemed to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    In our last class on Nov. 28th I loved seeing your Genius Hour student examples from your implementation. When you shared your Genius Hour in our Success Analysis protocol everyone liked the Genius Hour book you provided your students with and we felt that this format could help to provide students with the structure and support they might need to guide their independent inquiry and work time.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete