Monday, December 11, 2017

Video Self Analysis Post #2

I implemented a silent debate with my students. Within this exercise, I had students silently debate the things they needed in order to get a good job. Throughout this activity, I encouraged students to write as if they were texting and talking about what they needed to do/ say or show in order to get a good job.  While students were working they did have some off topic conversation, the next time I use this within my classroom I will be sure to give more examples of appropriate silent debate conversation in order to set them up to be successful. I had many students take this assignment and truly dig into the necessary skills to be successful in a job. A few things that students were able to generate independently is the need for you to dress professionally, talk professionally and avoid text lingo, have a clean record, and get good grades. One topic that I was looking for and hinted at in our post discussion is the need for a resume. This activity was to lead into their resume writing workshop. Many students felt confident in this activity and made it a protocol I would like to use again within my classroom. I was impressed with the authentic conversation we were able to have after the silent debate and some thoughts were generated in the post conversation and not documented on paper. I really enjoyed seeing students converse on a different platform and challenge them to discuss topics through writing amongst their peers. A key aspect to this activity was to draw students to a better understanding of the skills to be successful and not only land a good job but also to be successful within the world. I enjoyed the post discussion, because we were in red ribbon week and one of my students made a connection between landing a good job and being drug free. I highlighted that and connected it to the weekly activities that school was participating in. My next steps of instruction is to discuss what it is to dress for success. I saw only a few students noted that and I knew this topic was crucial to their success in the mock interviews as well as success in their future careers. Overall, I saw this activity as extremely successful and I look forward to having my students take part in a silent debate again in the future.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a neat idea. We always think about verbal deabtes but a silent debate it much harder. It seems like such a great way to enhance thinking and writing skills while making students apprecaite the value of other people's opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too tried the silent debate and realized that I needed to give more examples of what it looked like. They are not used to writing their dialogue when it is not in a text format.

    Christi Coomes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I enjoyed reading your video analysis of your students’ silent debate protocol and I am glad that it was beneficial to students in providing them with opportunities to share their ideas about what they thought was important for preparing for a job interview. You shared how several of the items students generated such as the need to dress professionally and the need for a resume were items that you were going to bring up to the class and by them naming them for themselves, you were able to connect the content to what your students’ already knew and identified. The only component missing is the next steps. What did analyzing this implementation and student data from the lesson show you that students need next? What will your next instructional steps be? *Thank you for sharing the video clip with me.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, I enjoyed reading your video analysis of your students’ silent debate protocol and I am glad that it was beneficial to students in providing them with opportunities to share their ideas about what they thought was important for preparing for a job interview. You shared how several of the items students generated such as the need to dress professionally and the need for a resume were items that you were going to bring up to the class and by them naming them for themselves, you were able to connect the content to what your students’ already knew and identified. The only component missing is the next steps. What did analyzing this implementation and student data from the lesson show you that students need next? What will your next instructional steps be? *Thank you for sharing the video clip with me.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete