Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Taylor Thomas - Course 2: Blog Post 5

What have students learned as evidence by data analysis? Through our PBL learning experience this semester, students learned what Colony Collapse Disorder is, possible theories for CCD, how CCD effects the economy and our food source, stated a claim for the most likely cause of CCD and how they can help with the issue. Based on the analysis of student work, their level of mastery was 93%.

What have you learned? I learned that my CP students needed more guidance than anticipated. I learned that students are proficient in researching and creating products of their findings. I also learned that some students were aware of CCD, but most had never heard of it. Most importantly, I learned more about my students as learners, their work ethic and how they interact in a group setting.  
What worked? The timeframe and timeline for this investigation yielded positive outcomes. The way I organized activities and learning experiences worked well. For the most part, students worked efficiently in their groups. Providing choice in various aspects of this investigation also worked nicely for my students.

What didn’t work? Staking a claim and supporting with evidence did not go so great at first with one of my classes. When I realized students were not successful in supporting a claim with evidence, I gave them examples of how to begin their claim and make it their own. After some guidance, students were successful.


How will this new learning be evident in your next PBL unit? I plan to incorporate a more organized Project Agenda Board in my next PBL unit to provide students with guidelines, checkpoints and expectations. I will thoughtfully pre-assess students and conduct a class discussion on need to knows to hopefully avoid minor setbacks such writing an effective claim and supporting it with evidence. J

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taylor,
    I am glad that your first semester pbl was successful and beneficial to you and to your students and I appreciate you emailing me the quantitative data as well showing the results comparing your pre and post tests. I attribute their success to the thoughtful planning and the many ways you intentionally provided students with support for their research and for their final products. The conferencing, the collaboration, and the ways you provided resources to them both digitally and in print helped ensure that their needs were met so they could be challenged with the inquiry and the informational reading and research. You shared how with your next unit you want to utilize a more organized project agenda board and conduct a pre-assessment on class discussion so you can help support students in this area with instruction. I am looking forward to seeing this in action.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, I love the thought of a project agenda board in order to provide students with an outline of activities and expectations! I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences next semester with your future PBL.

    ReplyDelete