Friday, December 8, 2017

Blog Post 5; Sarah Garner

When I started this project, I noticed students were unsure how to navigate a website, read a rubric, or create an organized presentation. I was extremely shocked! A student asked me where to find their salary on the website, and on the top of the screen there was a salary tab. I was unsure whether this was the student being lazy, or if the student did not know how to navigate a website. Come to find out, all of my students were struggling with navigating a website. So I took on the challenge, and I took a good thirty minutes and showed students how to navigate a website. By the end of the project the students understood slope intercept form, but they could also navigate a website. For my upcoming PBL I will not assume students know how to navigate websites, read a rubric, or organize a presentation. I will incorporate videos, create presentation myself and show the students, and give a mini lesson on navigating websites. I feel if I do these few things my grades for the project will improve tremendously. My students also showed me that they understood the concept slope intercept form from their project and tests grades.
These are the project and tests grades from my third block class. This class truly enjoyed to project and strived to do well. I have a few students that did not show their potential on the test.  
Project
Test
87
46
88
94
100
40
95
37
88
81
86
97
99
94
88
75
99
60
100
85
90
91
84
89
81
88
93
74
89
0 Missing
84
80
100
35
84
77
95
102
93
94
89
100
100
95
81
95

2 comments:

  1. I love that you stepped up to the challenge and addressed a skill deficiency that wouldn't necessarily fall into your realm of instruction. I have often found myself frustrated when the students don't have a certain skill I expected them to have. I wonder if there's a small mini-unit we could do at the beginning of the semester to teach them these for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    In your unit reflection you shared how you planned for students to need support with the content of understanding and implementing slope/intercept but didn't realize that they would need support with accessing information for their inquiry via website and with creating an organized presentation. While this content isn't tied directly to math, they certainly tie the real world to math. Being able to navigate websites and create presentations are part of accessing information and part of communicating and these are essential in any mathematics field. I am thankful for the growth that many of your students experienced in this unit and for the growth that you have experienced in understanding and implementing project based learning.

    ReplyDelete