Monday, December 11, 2017

Kristi Winslow- Blog 5

Kristi Winslow
What I Used to Think and Now and I Know
            Working through this PBL unit, of my students creating a children’s book to display their knowledge of cells, my students were successful with their final products as well as displaying their mastery of the content in this cells unit.  My students learned how to take their prior knowledge of plot and characterization and apply it to their children’s books while incorporating their new knowledge of cell organelles and their functions.  They grew in their writing skills, collaboration with their classmates, and their mastery level of cells.
            I used to think that incorporating PBL or STEAM plans would be difficult for my particular group of students.  I have now learned it is more beneficial for my group of students to do more hands on and visual work for them to be successful in their learning.  They are have shown me their overall interests in school and their passions of what they enjoy to learn or talk about through the creation of their stories.  This is a great alternative to direct instruction and I love being able to allow my students to use their imaginations and their creations to teach themselves, with teacher guidance. 
            The only changes I would make with this experience is providing my students with more examples of what it is I am wanting them to create.  Some of my students had a difficult time processing the concept of incorporating cells into their stories and they ended up just placing the name of the organelle rather than using analogies to connect it to a character in their story.  Now that I have completed this project, I have plenty of examples for my students in the future. 

Student
Pre-Test Grade  
Post-Test Grade
1
70
100
2
50
84
3
72
86
4
34
66
5
50
92
6
64
92
7
28
48
8
80
96
9
56
96
10
60
94
11
64
96
12
36
93
13
20
54
14
42
62
15
42
74
16
68
92
17
32
58
18
48
100
19
44
100
20
58
100
21
22
84
22
52
68
23
20
35
24
35
74

4 comments:

  1. I thought everything was going to be difficult too!I loved seeing your PBL and am looking for ways for us to collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having examples from previous projects is always helpful. I agree that it is more difficult the first go round of any new project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, having projects or products from previous students is helpful. On the flip side, some students can tap into their creative thinking and produce something more original without having examples to guide them. I am so used to modeling expectations for my students I too like having exemplars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristi,
    I enjoyed reading your final reflection and am thankful that this fall pbl unit of study was beneficial for your students in providing them with hands on opportunities to learn about the parts and functions of cells and then to share what they learned through the creation of a children's picture books. Reciprocal teaching is one of the most effective instructional practices according to John Hattie (2008) and it is clear from your results that positive student outcomes resulted for the majority of your students. You shared in your reflection how some of your students struggled with understanding the concept of creating a picture book that is both enjoyable to read but also teaches a concept. Having examples from this year's class will be a helpful support for next year's group. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete