Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Sarah Kate Chatel - Blog Post 3

I love my job! Being a special education teacher has made me shift my approach with every student, not only the ones who struggle. As a special education teacher I must constantly evaluate student’s present levels, analyze where they are currently, formulate personalized goals and continuously progress monitor their understanding. Through this process, I make goal setting and overall awareness a priority with my students. As teachers, we are every student’s s and it is my top priority to empower students to become their own advocates and develop them into having a growth mindset. A huge part of teaching students who have a disability is to be self-aware and how to pursue the developments of their weaknesses. I strive to conference with my students every Friday, in order to identify weaknesses and develop a game plan for improvement. Working with students that come from poverty, I see the need to develop a growth mindset within students. They must be driven to learn more, become better and go further than they ever thought possible. I believe that every student possesses strengths and weaknesses and is capable of being successful. I aim to meet student’s individual needs and develop a growth mindset amongst all students in order for them to overcome their difficulties in learning and life. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah Kate,
    I appreciate you reflecting on how you work to build student agency through setting goals, progress monitoring, and conferencing with students. Tell me what you thought about the suggestions given in the New Tech Agency rubrics shared? Would those criteria be helpful for building student agency as well for your students?

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete