Monday, December 11, 2017

Clark H. Maxwell Blog Post #5

What I used to think:

    Prior to this class, I'd heard about PBL before from teachers and my wife, who is also a teacher.  I never really took the time to look and see if this would be a good fit for PE.  I've become so accustomed to setting up games, station work, and fitness testing to think about it.  Initially, I was extremely stressed in the first class.  I had absolutely no idea about anything that was being talked about, still don't at times.  I just tried to figure it out.  But, I can say now that I know how to design and implement one.  My kids were tasked with coming up with a workout that could be done on an extremely tight budget.  They had some good ideas as far a body weight exercises, and using book bags for added weight.  In the beginning, I thought we would work a little bit everyday until we completed it.  That did not work out as planned, too much PE time lost.  Anyway we were able to try-out the works outs a little.  I plan on making them the first workouts I do with my new students next semester.  So my students could actually be with the other PE classes, we all did the workouts in stations and during relays.  We did these for about a week, but did not get to try all of them.  Several students could tell that we were doing an exercise that they had in their workout, and they made sure to let me know.  Right now we are in our last round of fitness testing, so below is a table of how their curl-up/sit-up scores have improved.  There were 85% of my 3rd period who improved.  Some went up big, some small, but Rome wasn't built in a day.  The rest, except for those in red, were within just a few of their previous score.  The two in red thought it would be funny to give up.  I think and hope the main things they got out of the PBL is that a major investment in equipment is not necessary to become fit.  I know I could tell from their technique in the test below that they have gotten in condition.  That is something I harp on them about, technique.  I believe it is a direct result of them being better conditioned

Student
Sit-ups 1
Sit-ups 2
1
20
22
2
7
 21
3
41
 50
4
13
37 
5
30
 46
6
30
 61
7
13
 25
8
24
 42
9
30
 50
10
6
 25
11
30
 50
12
4
 12
13
30
 50
14
16
 17
15
30
 38
16
30
 4
17
30
 25
18
30
 26
19
5
 10
20
30
 50
21
10
 14
22
30
 50
23
30
 50
24
2
 10
25
30
 15
26
13
 22
But Now I know:
    Since taking this class I have been taught ways to do a PBL and have it be more precise.  Now I know not to try and do a little each day.  I'm shooting for once a week, no more no less.  The number one thing I will take from this second class is Genius Hour.  I thought that was the best thing I learned from this class.  It fits very well with PE.  It's quick, simple, I can guide it, and the kids do not dread having to work on PBL stuff everyday.  My plan for next semester is to do Genius Hour once a week until the PBL is finished.  I honestly think this is the best way to do this in PE.

4 comments:

  1. What great results! I too loved Genius Hour. I had heard about before, but never carved out the time to make it work in my classroom. My students and I can't wait to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max! I really enjoyed reading your reflection and appreciate so much your honesty regarding the possibility of pbl in p.e. but also your openness to trying it out and learning ways to make it work. I know that initially you were stressed in figuring out how pbl would work in p.e. without taking away valuable time engaged in physical activity. From your first fall pbl to your Genius Hour implementation you have shared what you and your students have learned and how you have grown. I am glad that Genius Hour was beneficial to you and I am looking forward to seeing you implement your next unit this spring. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that once a wekk implementation is wonderful within a PE classroom. I know it is crucial to get our students moving as much as possible as well as instruct your standards. I love that you are trying this out with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to take your class! It would be a refreshing twist on PE!

    ReplyDelete