Sunday, April 16, 2017

Blog Post 5 - My 6 Revelations of PBL

Almost one year ago, we started on this journey to PBL endorsement.   It has been a year of discovery, successes, and some failures.  Along the way I have come to six revelations about Project-based learning:
1 - You'll never know what's possible unless you try.  
There are not limits with PBL.  Any restrictions you place on yourself or your students are self-imposed.  Until you try and allow your students to try, you will never witness full potential. I did not think middle school students would be able to handle critique and revision but that ended up being some of the most useful process.  I thought I could predict where the process would take my students, but their interests and passion drove our PBL's to new and exciting places.  In our last PBL, I planned on a tasting menu for the outcome but the students quickly wanted to extend that to an entire restaurant design.
2 - Students learn more when they are interested in the topic
Through PBL choices, students owe their learning.  This ownership creates a drive to learn all they can.  They come to class wanting to move on and do the next thing.  It was a constant challenge to keep up with what they needed to know and how to facilitate that learning.
3 - PBL takes the teacher OUT of the driver's seat.
Teachers are often compared to the driver of the bus, taking students on the learning adventure, but with PBL this changes.  The teacher puts in the order for the bus, make sure it's there on time, and gets on for the ride.  It's the experience that drives the bus and you never know where it might take you.   I have to admit it can be a little scary to not be steering but the it's worth it.
4 - PBL is for everyone!
Over the past three semesters, I have seen students from kindergarten to graduate school create and participate in all the elements of PBL: a driving question, 21st century proficiencies, student choice,
need to knows, critique and revisions,  need to knows, significant content.  Next week I will conduct a peer presentation where we will design a PBL for the last weeks of May.  I am excited to see how my fellow teachers design this unit.
5 - The support for PBL is authentic and palpable.
Last summer we learned about elevator pitches.  These pitches have been invaluable over the past year.   Whether 'pitching' to students, administrators, parents, or fellow teachers, the elevator pitch immediately hooked interest and it just grew from there.  I have received so many nice comments this year supporting our PBL projects.
6 - The benefits of PBL don't stop at the end of the project
The academic AND soft skills learned through PBL are skills that can be applied to every aspect of the student's life.  From computer skills to interpersonal skills, the PBL learner is a more well-rounded learner and, in time, employee.  I have seen a change in my middle-school students through the group work they have done.  They are more compassionate and thoughtful classmates.

5 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes! Everything you said is so true! I can't believe how much I have grown as an educator through this process and how much my students have learned. Truly has changed the way I teach daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liken PBL to riding in the passenger side of your own car; it's kind of like what you're used to, but it's hands off, and feels strange to not be in total control.
    Also, do really get into learning things they're interested in; suddenly, they're learning, and not working. PBL provides a host of opportunities to allow for student choice in content, which in turn allows them to study "in the direction" that you want them to, but makes them feel like they're in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said. I am amazed at how engaged my students are and what they are capable of. I find myself thinking sometimes....I wish we could just do this all the time....but I know they would get tired of it. I think a mixture of traditional teaching and PBL is definitely the way to go. If we are using the "driving" metaphor (from the student's perspective), sometimes I feel like driving (and doing it myself), and sometimes I want to just sit in the passenger seat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie,
    This is such a well written summary of your pbl revelations! I agree with you that pbl is for everyone and that even when we aren't able to fully implement all aspects of project based learning in an instructional unit of study, we can consider ways to enhance it through the lens of effective project based learning. Whether that is providing students with choice, an audience, or even putting them in the driver's seat as you mentioned we can improve engagement and the overall outcomes. Thank you!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post!! In fact, I have typed up your 6 points to remind my fellow 5th grade teachers. I think sometimes we get so frustrated because we have a million other things to do during the school year. #1 You never know what is possible until you try. All things are possible. I just wish that all teachers had the same optimistic view of PBL that you and I have.

    ReplyDelete