Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Helen Reed - Blog Post 6 - What I Used to Think, But Now I Know

Blog Post 6: What I Used to Think, But Now I Know

I can’t believe my PBL journey has come to an end. But in reality, I feel it is actually the beginning. I have learned so much throughout these three courses and cannot wait to continue to learn and grow in the ways of project based learning.
Beginning this journey in the summer, I was excited about incorporating PBL in my classroom. I thought that I already did PBL do an extent, but was ready to do it the ‘correct’ way. But I’ve learned that while there are critical components, there is no ‘correct’ way. From summer to fall, I quickly learned that PBL did indeed involve a lot of work and planning. Oh, the planning. That is one area which I am still working on, and will hopefully get to devote some time to this summer. For my fall project, I was too optimistic. Since I’m not to the point where I can integrate every subject into a single project yet, I tried to do too much. I had to make some revisions and didn’t stick to my exact plans. The best part of all the revisions though was that I was better prepared for my next project. For the spring PBL, I thought I was more realistic in regards to what my students would be able to do. That realism came from some setbacks in the fall project, learning more about PBL, and our visit to JL Mann. All of those things really helped me grow in my PBL mindset.
Another area in PBL which I have grown in is how engaged the students can, and should be, in the project. Before I thought that the teacher should drive the project, but now I know that the students should drive the project. They are capable of every component of PBL. One area which I have grown in a lot is students having a say in the rubric creation. My students have enjoyed co-creating rubrics with me for a project. When they are involved, they are more likely to understand what is expected of them in the project and to follow through with it. After we’ve created a rubric, I will type up a copy to give each of them. This paper copy allows them to physically check the boxes with what they have and have yet to complete. I have found that the students will also hold each other more accountable. Even this makes the students more responsible and causes me to have less to worry about. When the students take that responsibility, they are growing in those soft skills, which are also essential. When the students drive the project, it really shows how much the students are learning. Just like how you can’t learn how to drive a car without actually getting behind the wheel, students learn through the project. I now know, as the teacher, you are sitting in the passenger seat. Your role shifts to be a watcher, and to let the students make mistakes. When they do, you are there ready to offer guidance and suggestions. You may have your feet and hands ready to grab the wheel and slam on the brakes at a moment's notice, yet you let the kids do it, because they are the ones that need to practice and learn the most.
I have loved being on this PBL journey and can’t wait to hear of all the fantastic things everyone continues to do in their classrooms and throughout our district. I used to think you all were great teachers, but now I know for a fact that you all are!

2 comments:

  1. Helen,
    I love your accountability piece for the students. I used to think I was having high expectations for my students, but through this class I have realized I wasn't holding the bar high enough. All students are capabale of working, learning, and doing if we hold them accountable; even adults seem to do a better job when we know we are being held accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    Thank you for taking time to reflect on your experiences implementing project based learning throughout this year. You shared how your initial understanding of planning changed when you realized planning is time consuming but the implementation part is where the struggle really lies and where the most beneficial planning tool comes in...revision.
    You shared how student engagement with pbl is something you have seen and how you've worked to include student created rubrics and self assessments as part of their pbl work time that helps ensure the expectations are clear and high and that students are periodically reflecting on them. Your last sentence made me smile because it is both kind and true - our cohort is comprised of some of the most talented and hardest working group of educators I have had the privilege of working with.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete