Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Class 3 - Blog #4

We are trying to develop a school within a school here at DFC. Our projected start date will be the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year. I am super excited and have agreed (obviously) to teach science classes in this program. Scott Taylor has been working with Dr. Smith to create the mission, criteria for attendance, courses offered, etc. I have been asked to added to the Google doc of the skeleton outline for this school. Wow! I never would have guessed last summer when I attended the first PBL course that we could do this so soon at DFC - and that I would be a part of it! I have a question for anyone who reads this post - Should there be any requirements to be enrolled in this school-within-a-school at DFC? There were none at Mann, if I remember correctly. They simply did first come, first serve. I thought students could just be presented with how these courses would be different from traditional courses (in the course manual given the previous year) and decide if they wanted to enroll - no teacher recommendations, minimum grades, etc. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Crossley,
    I am excited about the plans that Scott and Dr. Smith have worked on and how you have been a vital support to it through the skeleton outline and for the possibility of this for our students. When I met with Scott yesterday to discuss the outline he shared that Dr. Smith suggested that there be an application process. I believe that our college prep students should have the choice to enroll in a pbl course or a traditional one and your suggestion of a presentation of the course structure would be helpful. Having an application where parents sign also shows their support which could be beneficial. I suggested to Scott that we consider having a periodic (once a semester) feedback on students performance in the pbl model using a one page rubric similar to the one we used in this course. This will not only provide feedback to students and parents each semester but will also provide instructors with feedback to help guide planning and instruction of pbl courses. I look forward to working with your teachers at DFC this summer and please keep me posted on how I can continue to support your work.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what would an awesome class for a school-within-a-school at the DFC? A photography class ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome!!! Who would've even thought that this would happen so fast in our district. This is great especially for students who have been through PBL and thrived from it in previous schools. I think a school within a school at DFC is exactly what we need in D6.

    ReplyDelete