Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Brittany Daly - Blog Post 5 – PBL Planning

This week, I was able to meet with Dawn to discuss a future PBL unit. Our 1920s unit was such a success, and we want to do something similar with a new unit next year. My team decided to focus on WWII. It is one of our favorite units to teach, and it will work better with the timeline of our program. When I met with Dawn, I didn’t have any set plans yet. I wanted to focus on determining a driving question that would give our project purpose. Together, Dawn and I talked about how we could focus on the heroes of WWII, both hidden and historical. I have drafted a driving question and problem statement that are sure to change as the planning for this unit continues.

Driving Question: What are the qualities of a hero? How did your chosen hero exemplify those qualities during the time of World War II?

Problem Statement:
The Smithsonian is adding a WWII Heroes exhibit to the WWII wing of their museum. You will act as museum curators as you research and showcase the hidden and historical heroes who made a difference during WWII.  Your job is to define what makes a hero and report on a WWII hero that exemplifies those qualities. Your research and artifacts will be added to the new Hero Exhibit of the WWII wing.


As I mentioned, this is a rough draft. I am hoping to develop the unit framework and present it to the next PBL cohort to get some feedback! 

2 comments:

  1. I loved your Roaring 20s PBL! I hope that I can get my team to implement something similar. I can't wait to see the WWII PBL. I would love to plan with you more PBL units that I can use in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,
    I enjoyed our pbl WWII planning session so very much and I love how you and your fifth grade team work together to provide this opportunity for all of the students at FES. Your launch event where they are able to go to different classrooms to be immersed in the time frame not only engages them in the era of history but also provides them with enough background knowledge to make an effective choice for their inquiry. Please keep me posted on the development of your unit. I would be glad to support you and your students with this in any way possible.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete