Thursday, April 27, 2017

Blog Post 6: I used to think, but now I know...

At the beginning of this year, we were informed that we would have to add 2 additional PBL units to our curriculum at RES.  Last year, we were required to complete 4 PBL science units with Project Lead the Way being one of the units.  This year the additional PBL units needed to be in other subject areas. I used to think that PBL was a way to plan a science unit.  All I can think about was how can I use the Engineering Design Process in other subject areas.  I remember sitting in class looking at Mrs. Harris and saying, “we have to get away from thinking about PBL with science.  This isn’t about science.”  I realize PBL is a much bigger picture.  It is a way of planning instruction that integrations multiple subjects while teaching students several skills needed for the 21st century jobs.  After this class, I think about how can I incorporate PBL across the board.  Now, at the end of the school year,  I have began to think about my planning for next year.  My brain is overflowing with great ideas to provide my students with a learning experience that will keep them engaged and prepare them for life.  I used to think that PBL unit planning was a long drawn out process, but now I realize that it can be done fairly quickly especially if the teachers collaborate.  This method of teaching, not only requires to students to work collaboratively, but the teachers learn to work together in planning. I now know that PBL is the way to create 21st century learners. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teelah,
    I am so glad that you were able to see possibilities for project based learning that both integrated with STEM units of study that included the inquiry process as well as the design and engineering process and also included other disciplines such as literacy and social studies. You shared how once you broadened your scope for considering pbl units of study you also considered different ways to structure them in terms of scope and sequence, realizing that some pbl units can be fully integrated and some can be more problem based that are shorter in nature. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on how you and your students have grown as a result of your implementation.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete