Friday, April 21, 2017

Blog Post 6 - Shanna Pittman

What I Used to Think but Now I Know!
Shanna Pittman - Blog Post 6

What I used to think:      
     When I signed up for this class last Spring, I was excited to find out what all the PBL talk was about. I thought it would be a great extension of what I already do in kindergarten, which is teach integrated units. Honestly, I thought I was already teaching using the Project-Based Learning model. When we began the class I thought there would be lots of early childhood teachers and we could share ideas about what we are doing and share ideas for units and help each other develop those into pbl units. I was wrong about most of what I initially thought project based learning and our class would be. I was definitely not disappointed though! 

Now I know:
     After the class began last summer, the first observation I made was that there weren't any early childhood teachers. As a matter of fact, most of my fellow students were almost exclusively middle and high school teachers. The second observation I made was that PBL units were more complicated than I expected. I began to worry that if I planned a unit using all of the key elements, it may be too advanced and beyond the scope of what a five-year old could comprehend. However, my worries were unfounded. Dawn was a wonderful resource and excellent support for me. I thoroughly enjoyed our coaching experience.

Although PBL turned out to be more than I initially expected, it was even more effective than I anticipated in helping my students understand and remember the ideas and information I was presenting. My students were fully engaged in each unit, they remember them and still talk about them. I am hoping to plan more units next year and build on the units I planned this year. I would like to add new units each year. I would love to stay connected to the class and any kindergarten teachers who may decide to take the class in the future!

3 comments:

  1. I have been so impressed with you and your students this year! It's also awesome that you shared your learning with the other kindergarten teachers and helped them develop an understanding of true PBL as well. Your kids can do so much more than I realized, and you taught me a lot throughout these courses! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shanna,
    While I know that you were our only early childhood educator in the class and that was a little overwhelming at first, I can say wholeheartedly that every single one of us was completely blown away by what your kindergarten students did with their pbl units. You are one of the most humble and hardest working teachers I've had the pleasure of knowing and I have absolutely loved watching you take each of the strategies and structures we've learned in our cohort about effective project based learning and apply them with your students. This hasn't always been easy, but you've ensured that it has always worked because you've implemented based on your students' needs and abilities as well as your knowledge of the standards and the structure of pbl. Thank you!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so excited to hear about what your students were doing this year. I have a 5 year old stepdaughter and I know that she is capable of doing so much more than what her teacher is asking of her. I love that you have held the bar high for your students and they have attempted to reach it. I wish you much more success in your PBL adventure.

    ReplyDelete