Thursday, April 13, 2017

PBL Woes

Roebuck Elementary is a Project Lead The Way (PLTW) school.  Each grade level completes 3 pltw modules.  Originally, 5th grade was going to complete the Land and Water PBL after Christmas holidays, but we had to start it later due to the pltw schedule for ipads.  We completed our Robotics and Automation pltw modules, which have nothing to do with our science standards, during the month of February.  These modules are very useful for the science and engineering practices.  The kids love the robotics module and are really engaged.  It is a teachers dream, but it does not cover any of the content standards for science at our school.  I personally feel like after taking this class in the summer and the first semester, my momentum for pbl was at an all-time high. After completing the PLTW modules, I lost some of my excitement for my own upcoming PBL.  This was the second half of the year and as a teacher it’s a bittersweet moment. It is closer to the end of the year, but it is “testing time.”  All the buzz around the school is “SC Ready” and “TDA.”    I was hoping that once my PBL started my love for PBL would returned.  Just as I suspected…my love for PBL returned as soon as it was time for me to start my science plans for the Land and Water unit.  I got excited all over again especially when I realized that this PBL had a special hands-on component…Barrier Island. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had some 'woes' with your PBL but I have to say I share your sentiments. I love my PBL's and I believe the students love them too, but sometimes there are outside forces that keep us for proceeding as we want. Just don't give up, we might not be on the schedule we want but, we can get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! But, you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teelah,
    I appreciate you giving us a summary of how pbl has been going for you and your students this semester. I know that students benefit from their PLTW robotics units through the engineering and inquiry standards and the hands on application of the design and building of them. Ideally they would integrate with the science content standards but I am excited that with pbl you've been able to integrate content area standards in with your literacy and inquiry standards as well. I am glad that your excitement has returned with your second pbl and it was easy to see how excited students were to begin their land and water unit, especially since it culminates in a trip to Barrier Island. That is definitely a hands-on experience for them.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that your PBL was able to bring you a little bit of joy during a time of the year that is often stressful. I'm sure it had the same effect on your students. I hope y'all had a great trip to Barrier Island!

    ReplyDelete