Monday, April 17, 2017

Blog Post #5-Reflecting on Students Reflections


Through this process I have stretched myself as an educator, and in return I have had the privilege to watch my second graders critically think, problem solve, collaborate, and communicate in a positive, productive learning environment.  With my guidance, they have been able to apply their new learning in other areas of everyday classroom life.  However, I wondered what their thoughts and feeling were about project-based learning.  So I asked them! J 

Using a Padlet I posed the question-
How do you feel about Project Based Learning? Like it? Don't like it? Why or Why not?
( **Think about our playground unit, Native Americans, Bee Unit, Genius Hour)


I started by sharing my own reflection that I wrote on the Padlet.  I explained my thoughts and feelings and asked them to do the same.  I had two rules:  they had to be honest, and to be specific.  I was overjoyed to see that they ALL had something positive to say.  Their reflections showed me there is power in choice, creating, and enjoying when I make silly videos to introduce topics!  These reflections validated some aspects I already knew and allowed me to see what matters most to my students.   

Padlet Link: https://padlet.com/harrislr/bu0d03pvxi6y

4 comments:

  1. The feedback your students gave is amazing. They didn't just say that they liked PBL, they also explained what they enjoyed or how it helped them. I loved the one comment about how the student amazed their parents when everything they've learned. PBL doesn't just impact the students in your classroom. It can impact the parents and the community.

    I have no doubt that these students will take the experiences you've given them this year and use them to become a better learner in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey,
    I absolutely loved reading their responses and I would love to show this padlet to anyone who doubts an eight year olds ability to utilize technology and/or to write to show what they know. With sincere belief in their abilities and a little support our students can do anything. I am thankful for the many ways you've supported your students with project based learning this year and how open you've been to implementing the strategies and structures shared in the course. Your enthusiasm has been contagious!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! Your students are able to explain their thinking and reflect on their PBL experiences, and they have you to thank for that. I have loved reading your blog posts and hearing about your PBL experience. Your creativity and passion is inspiring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you used Padlet for reflections. During my unit, I used a google form. It was good to see my students being honest about the process and their peers. I'm not sure that my students would be honest about things on a padlet because they would be able to see each other's responses.

    ReplyDelete