Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Blog #3-Co-Constructed Rubrics

Confession…I hate rubrics… well until my coaching cycle changed everything…

Rubrics have never been an area of strength for me.  I do not mind using them or even writing them, but it is always something that I dread.  Therefore, the idea of co-constructed rubrics was something I could not wrap my head around.  I honestly had no clue where to start, what do, or how to guide them in creating something they could actually use.
I am so thankful to Dawn, who came in and provided such a wonderful lesson with my students.  This lesson allowed me to have a better understanding of co-constructed rubrics.  First, she displayed a three-column chart at the front of the classroom and invited my students to join her at the front.  Then, students told her about their projects and expectations.  She then explained what they were going to be doing, and they brainstormed three words to describe each of the different ratings.  Lastly, they discussed the elements that were important to be graded: answering the driving questions, teamwork, and presentation skills. The students discussed items they thought were important for each category and were added to the chart.  This 30-minute lesson had my students engaged, thinking and reflecting on their learning, and excited!  Watching Dawn teach this lesson allowed me to see that these are not something to dread, but embrace.  I am planning to co-construct a rubric with my students for their genius hour projects we are currently working on.  I’ll keep you posted on how it goes J !!   


5 comments:

  1. I love the words your students chose to describe each level. Who wouldn't work for an EPIC grade? I love creating rubrics with my students. It gives them even more ownership over their work because they know my expectations... and they share those expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm glad to hear they were engaged, and hopefully they will better understand where their grade comes from since they helped to create it. Rubrics can be overwhelming for students (check out the TDA ones!) but starting to use them at an earlier age will help them be less intimidating when they are older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same boat as you. I hate grading off of rubrics. I either feel like the rubric was too easy on the student or it was too hard. When you dislike rubrics, the thought of giving some of the grading power to the student is extremely scary. I, too, let my students co-construct the rubric for my first PBL. I was actually surprised at how serious that took the notion of grading. What I learned is that students know what is required and they know what makes a good project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,
    I am glad that the rubric demo was beneficial in seeing the process of co-constructing rubrics with students and I absolutely loved engaging with your students in this process. Their terminology for the outcomes they wanted in their presentations were priceless and it was clear from the carpet discussion that students knew what they were expected to do and also knew components of effective presentations. I am looking forward to seeing their next genius hour products and the rubric that you develop with your students next. Let me know how I can continue to support your work.
    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind making a rubric, but then I always find that I left something really important out, and I want to just throw the whole thing out the window. I loved hearing Dawn talk about co-constructing a rubric with your students. It just seemed so perfect for them and accomplished what you had intended it to do. And to think that they came up with it---that is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete