Saturday, March 18, 2017

Blog Post 2- PBL Areas of Growth
Shanna Pittman


                After our summer course and implementation of our first PBL, I targeted several areas in which I wanted to grow. I think my planning of the Fall unit was solid (for a beginner in this endeavor). The time frame in which I planned the unit was a little off, however, I modified and adjusted. The academic rigor of the unit was appropriate to my grade level and challenged the students. I included all PBL learning strategies. I felt confident in the planning and implementation of the unit.
                When I began, the second unit there were several areas in which I knew I needed growth. I focused on these areas during my second unit, as much as was possible given that I was training and planning with my grade level colleagues. The first of these areas was critique and reflection. During the Fall unit I think this was a weak area in my unit. I believe I limited my student’s opportunities for critique and revision because I thought this was something they were too young to do (and I feared if the students were unable to do this, it would be my failure). Then, I had the opportunity to co-teach with Dawn this Spring and was happy to get help with Critical Friends Protocol! After we co-taught Critical Friends, I was amazed to see my students critiquing one another (mostly giving compliments) and giving each other suggestions. I was excited to see that they could participate in a modified version of Critical Friends. I also realized that although it did not look like it will in a few years when they are older, it is important to introduce these ideas now so that they can grow and develop as the children continue on their PBL journey.  

                The second area in which I wanted to focus was summative assessments. This is also difficult with young children, particularly when you are asking them to provide input in the assessment. I still have some growth in this area, however I was more willing to take risks this time and included my students in forming the assessment and allowed them to give input when I assessed each student. We discussed what they did, what they could improve upon, and what made them most excited during the unit. This was a totally new experience for me but it made the whole experience more meaningful for my students.

4 comments:

  1. I think you are doing some amazing things in kindergarten. I like how you are able to take what we are doing in class and bring it down to your students level. You kindergartens are already such deep thinkers!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some one in our workroom this week said "we should just stick to English and Math until 3rd grade". What would they say if they read your post?!?! It would be hard for anyone (who didn't know) to recognize that you are talking about kindergartners. You are very brave to take ownership of your growth areas and gave the students opportunities that extended their learning. They can do so much more than read and figure!!!! Thanks for letting them try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've discussed with teachers at my school many times how unprepared 7th graders are for things like collaboration and critiquing work. I could never imagine doing that with kindergartens. You are doing great work and your students (and their future teachers) will benefit greatly because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shanna,
    Thank you for taking time to reflect on what you've learned from your pbl implementation from fall to spring. I am so glad that the pbl critical friends that we co-taught was beneficial not only for your students in their arctic animal unit but that it was also beneficial for you to see possibilities for ways that your students could participate in giving each other critique, both positive and constructive in their projects and processes. You also shared how you are growing in the area of summative assessments, encouraging your students to take what they've learned throughout the process of their pbl's and showing evidence of their growth. I would love to continue to support your work in this area. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete