Thursday, March 2, 2017

Class 3 - Blog #1

I was super excited after Dawn visited my class. I watched the videos and looked at all her pictures and thought, "Wow. My kids are working together better than I thought. There is evidence of collaboration!" However, my kids don't know Dawn very well - she was a visitor. And I believe this situation is much like the parent-child-outside person relationship. My biological kids have been known to be demons in the presence of just my husband and myself (not terrible as I do not put up with foolishness, but still), and experience a complete transformation to angels (halos and all) when they walk through a church or school classroom door. I know this is because they feel more comfortable with us, their parents. Just as my students feel more comfortable with just me, their teacher. They smiled and put their best foot forward, especially when being photographed or videoed by Dawn. I even had one group tell me, "We did you proud, Mrs. Crossley!" So, they were trying to impress Dawn themselves and for me. And I am really grateful for that, but I can't have visitors in my class every day so my students "play nice." I have students who have no problem telling anyone who will listen how much they hate another classmate. Is this my fault? Have I failed as their teacher in some way? Or, did this atmosphere come from previous experience and infect my classroom? If so, what is the antibiotic?
I was really interested, when we toured JL Mann, how collaboration is weaved into the grading. But, how do I do that? I was also interested in the games and activities they mentioned playing at the beginning of the year to promote collaboration. But, what are those games and can I do this mid-semester?
Today was not a good day in room A112. At least not in my view. Can you tell? Y'all please, my shame-o-meter is nonexistent right now. I need your help.

4 comments:

  1. Ray T (Feedback 01) - Oh my do I know THAT feeling. It's a wonder we don't (by we I mean teachers) all have health problems due to repeated anxiety attacks!

    I think (I hope and I pray) that as more teachers in more class grades do more of this kind of teaching that students will recognize that this is a positive culture change.

    The class of mine that Dawn saw was well behaved and on task but boy did they complain. I find myself second guessing myself in much the same way that you explained that you are.

    I have tried to do unique and project based based instruction in the past and dealt with the push back from students and then parents and finally from administrators who just didn't understand the point and didn't want to deal with the problems.

    As our students often day, "I feel yah!" Not sure if that helps or not not, but there it is. Here is what I can offer: If you care you will do great. It will eventually work out. And I know that you care.

    My only word of caution, take care of you first. I have--in my years of teaching--seen some great teachers just get burned out because they cared and they didn't get the support that they needed.

    I will meet you for a few beers and even cover the bill if you have one of those REALLY bad days!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I'm in tears. I'm glad I'm not alone in this and we have this venue to "get it all out."

      Delete
  2. I think the 2 weeks of collaboration activites would be awesome for any classroom. Hopefully, we can start the school year on Thurday again (which I heard was happening) and I can implement collaboration activities those first two days of school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crossley,
    You are not alone in this and I am so thankful for your professionalism and passion for what you do. You care about the quality of your teaching and you care deeply about the success of your students and those two combined ensure that you will be effective, in short because you will not accept otherwise. This is a gift to yourself and to your students. I know I saw their best on this observation but the second one I saw their best first foot forward with their presentations. I know that their day to day collaboration and the overall quality of their final products aren't where you want them to be but they are a start. We can build from there. We've learned from this cohort that soft skills can't be expected without support and many times the best support is based on what didn't work the day before and/or what you found out kids need. So instead of worrying about your failure, look at what their actions and their academic progress say they need support in and let's figure out strategically where we can provide enough support while also pushing them forward to promote growth. I am always here to help. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete