Friday, March 31, 2017

Blog Post #4-Genius Hour 2.0


For one of our fall assignments, I tried out Genius Hour within a current unit of study.  Since time was a factor, I had students write thick questions based on the unit we were currently working on, then complete research.  Students also recorded their new “I wonder” questions to add to the wonder wall.  I loved the excitement and enthusiasm, but hated that I did not have the time to devote to a “real” genius hour.
Over the last month, I have been working with our literacy coach to implement a “real” genius hour as part of a learning lab.  This learning lab will allow other teachers to come observe my class working on genius hour, and give a separate collaboration time for me to share the details, answer questions, and give support to all grade levels.  Since time was a factor last time, I have replaced my current morning work research time with genius hour as well as replaced my science time on Fridays.  This will allow students to have over an hour a week to work on what they are passionate about.
To start, I had students list all the things they were passionate about on a sheet of paper.  After that, they picked one and turned it into a thick question.  I was amazed at some of their questions, and I loved hearing the excitement of peers when they had the chance to share their questions. 
List of students thick questions:

As students are researching, they record their new learning in a genius hour folder and answer a weekly Padlet question.  I review their facts, write questions to help guide their learning, and make sure they are staying on track.  The Padlet is a great way for me to quickly see what the students need assistance with and find out their thoughts about this project. 

Sample of Padlet responses to the question-What do you need help with? (excuse all the spelling mistakes J )


As students research, I ask them to focus on what is important and determine the important information within a text.  I modeled how to do this using various text.  As students dug deeper into their research, they started to form other questions.  Students write these questions on a sticky note to place on our wonder wall.

In our most recent mini-lesson we co-constructed a rubric.  I have really enjoyed doing these and I am so glad my opinion of rubrics have changed. J
I have loved the excitement, motivation, and enthusiasm my students have showed during this project.  They often ask me, “Can we use our free time to work on genius hour?”  or “ Can I work on this from home?”  These questions are coming from students who struggle to complete daily assignments.  I am so excited to see how students use their research to create a presentation and present to parents and administrators.  I know that they are going to continue to blow me away.      

3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! It's amazing what kinds of questions your kids came up with and how well they are doing with their research. I also like how you have replaced your morning work with this, so it starts their day with excitement and purpose. Do you have kids that are lost or don't know what to do without your help, so they start to cause trouble while they are waiting for help? That's my biggest issue when I open up for individual research, even with fifth graders. I have several that struggle with staying on task or finding their own resources. Good luck with the presentations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey! Your Genius Hour process is amazing! I love how you went back and revisited Genius Hour after trying it out this past fall and went deeper with it this spring with your students. I appreciate you including the questions that you asked them and how you utilized think and thin questions to help students generate their own questions they wanted to research. I also like how you used padlet to as both a formative assessment tool to find out what students' needs are but also a way to help guide them with their next "need to know" steps. Finally, I thought you did an outstanding job with your Genius Hour rubric that you co-constructed with students! I want to encourage you to consider sharing your process and student products at an upcoming pd conference such as ED TECH or SCIRA.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just say this was awesome for you and your class. I totally enjoyed seeing all of your students genius hour projects. To hear you talk about them and how engage they were and then to see the end results was truly rewarding to me as a teacher. I'm totally using genius hour after testing and I want to model my genius hour after my fellow Harris sister.

    ReplyDelete