Sunday, March 26, 2017

Blog Post #3 (Barwick)

For this blog post, I thought I would reflect on the EdCamp I presented at yesterday in Greenville because so much of the day kept me thinking and talking about PBL.  PBL concepts were woven throughout so many of the sessions yesterday, and even though I wasn't able to attend many of them since we were presenting in a room all day, I noticed the language of the teachers we talked to.  

Here were the titles of the some of the sessions at EdCamp:  Flexible Seating, Guided Math, Flipped Classroom, 1 to 1 Technology, STEAM/PBL, Engaging Activities, Partnerships, Movement in the Classroom, Tactile Learning, Teacher Leadership, and Growth Mindset.

Even just looking at the titles of the sessions, I see a shift in the way that we are thinking about teaching and learning, leaning more toward a PBL mindset.  I thought about how flexible seating gives students more choice in the classroom, how guided math encourages groups and collaboration, and how flipped classrooms and 1 to 1 technology incorporates technology.  Several sessions (Movement, Tactile Learning, Engaging Activities) focused on learning that is student centered and not just sitting at desk, passively learning.  I thought about how the Partnerships session put an emphasis on how schools should be making connections outside of the classroom, which would include the authentic audience component of PBL, and there was even a session devoted to PBL and STEAM.  I was so excited to see one just on Growth Mindset, which is an essential element of PBL so that students understand that their learning should not just be measured on one outcome or on a single score, but how much they have grown and will continue to grow.

Our session was on Learning with Legos, which also includes engagement and creativity in the classroom.  Many teachers and pre-service candidates discussed PBL in their classroom and we talked about how Legos could be a component of a project, or as a PRBL lesson.  All in all, I felt that the day's classes were more focused on creativity, collaboration, and authentic engagement in the classroom, and I was heartened because these are all incorporated in PBL units.  After attending EdCamp, I felt great about the direction we are headed in education!





2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how so many concepts of PBL are infused in these new "trends" of education. What this tells me is that most educators know what helps students stay engaged and what creates a deeper level of understanding. You are correct in that there seems to be a shift in education to a more project-based or problem-based concept of teaching (if it is called by a different name). I'm excited about what education may look like in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I am glad that you were able to attend EDCamp yesterday in Greenville and after attending one in Spartanburg back in the fall I agree with you that the majority of the topics offered include elements of pbl and/or closely align with pbl. Like you I can clearly see alignment with LEGOS to prbl and your lego robotics lesson with the toy persuasive writing is a perfect example of this. When many of the essential elements of pbl are in place in any learning structure, student engagement increases and so does opportunities for application. I am glad that this past Saturday was beneficial to you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete