Monday, March 13, 2017

Blog Post 1 - Implementation Observation
Shanna Pittman

     For my implementation observation, I chose to have Dawn co-teach one of the protocols we've used in class, Critical Friends. One of the biggest challenges as an early childhood educator implementing Project Based Learning, is the reflection and revision part of the process. I have searched several official Project Based Learning websites and Pinterest for ideas on making the reflection and revision piece meaningful for young children, with little success. I tried Critical Friends protocol during my first unit and did not feel good about how it turned out and was unsure if it was any benefit to my children at all. This spring when we were able to signed the coaching agreement and I was able to invite Dawn in to help me implement Critical Friends, I was very excited.
     Dawn knew ahead of time what my concerns were and what I wanted to see. The students had conducted extensive research using nonfiction books and websites about Arctic animals. They used the information they had learned to create a fictional animal that could survive in the Arctic based on the adaptive features they had studied. Students then put their ideas on paper, drew pictures, labeled parts and decided what their animal would look like, what features it would have and what they would call it. After completing this part of the PBL, Dawn came in to assist with Critical Friends.
     Dawn, my assistant and I each took 2 groups to separate parts of the room. Each group had a set amount of time to present their ideas to the other group. The group that listened then gave group 1 feedback. They shared what they liked and also what they wondered about the other group's animal. Then we switched and group 1 listened and gave group 2 feedback. The process was a great success!
      My first attempt at Critical Friends in kindergarten was not nearly as productive as with Dawn's help.  After my first attempt, I was worried about the guidance, teacher prompting and support I was having to provide my students. I had attempted to do it with the whole group. It was not as focused and students' attention wandered. Also, Dawn began by choosing a student to role play how to give and receive feedback. This was more successful than the mini-lesson I began with. I learned some new techniques to use by having Dawn come in and co-teach with me. I also got validation that it is necessary to give kindergartners a lot of support. I thought I had failed because my students were unable to critique and revise on their own. However, in kindergarten, Critical Friends does not look like it does with older students. As a matter of fact, we changed the name to Feedback Friends which I thought was very appropriate!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shanna,
    I learned a lot from our partnering to create and co-teach students a early childhood version of the critical friends protocol. You are right, our kindergarten students need support in being able to implement the protocol and I was glad that we had three adults in the room to pair students up in groups so that each table of two groups had an adult to help support and facilitate. I am glad the student model was effective in the mini-lesson at "showing" students what the feedback with friends would look like and sound like and I do believe that with repeated practice and support students would be able to do this with less and less support as they move forward. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to you for trying this kindergarten!! I like how you divided your class into groups. I think this will something that I try with second graders next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with what you are able to accomplish with kindergartners. I started using this protocol with my 5th graders a few weeks ago, and they still need quite a bit of support. Imagine what your students will be able to accomplish in future years because of their experiences in your classroom this year!

    ReplyDelete