Friday, March 3, 2017

Scott Taylor - blog #3 - looking at the final product

As I reflect on the unit I was very impressed at how my students completed the press conferences.  Throughout the unit they did awesome in their research, with the guest speaker, and during the speed dating concept.  Then, a difficult observation happened.  It was our next to last day and the students were practicing for the final presenations the next day and I had the classroom set-up as if were the real thing.  The podium was out, the American flag was on the stand, and the blue curtain was hung.  I had invited two English teachers in to give some feedback to the students when each of practiced up at the podium.  Then, and individual popped in to observe me for my 5 year renewal and she asked, "I thought I was here to watch you teach science."

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are embracing the cross-disciplinary aspect of this PBL. I hope the observer understood the value of this kind of learning. I'm sure she couldn't help but notice the student's excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,
    I laughed out loud when I read your last sentence. Of course that is when you were observed. I am absolutely convinced though that if your observer saw your students practicing for their presentations she was able to see the evidence of your instruction in what they were able to communicate about their learning. How did their presentations go? Were they able to communicate effectively what they learned about the characteristics of life using the constitution to defend the rights of zombies? Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were able to bring in two English teachers to provide feedback. I don't know about your students, but I know that would have made me take the assignment even more seriously. Were they responsive to the feedback and able to make changes before the real thing? I also want to know about the rest of the conversation you had with your observer. Was your observer curious, or displeased? By watching your students present, I hope your observer was able to realize all the learning that took place for your students to get to where they were.

    ReplyDelete