Thursday, March 2, 2017

Scott Taylor Blog #2- JL Mann visit

I was very intrigued with the idea of a school within a school such as the one at JL Mann.  The visit was great as we could see how other schools are implementing PBL in the classrooms.  I have since talked with Dr. Smith and he is very excited about this idea at DFC for 18-19 school year.  We have started the process of getting more teachers trained through this PBL class starting this summer.  We brainstormed for about 20 minutes and now we have the ball rolling for training all next year.  We set a tentative date of the end of October to have the plan complete before the course booklet goes to print.  I am looking forward as we can have another avenue for students to be successful at DFC.

5 comments:

  1. Scott! I'm so excited! I really think the "school-within-a-school" is a great idea. That way, the teachers and students who are truly interested in teaching and learning this way have the opportunity. And, the ones who prefer a more traditional classroom setting, can still do that. I'm so glad you have the ball rolling at our school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, I am very excited about having a program like the one at JL Mann in D6 as well! How exciting for students to have the option to learn using the PBL model. While we were at the school I kept thinking that my daughter (current 8th grader) would thrive in that environment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott, I am excited about the possibility of a school within a school at DFC as well and I am thankful we have five spots available for interested teachers across disciplines/content areas that we can offer to DFC to move this forward. I know the teachers who sign up will benefit from you and Crossley's experiences and support as well. Let me know how I can continue to support your work. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!! The whole time we were at JL Mann, I kept thinking about how we should do this in D6. I feel that you will reach so many more kids who don't thrive in a "traditional" environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible! I love the idea of giving students a choice (or recommendation) to help them cater their learning experience to their learning styles.

    ReplyDelete