Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Blog #2- Video Analysis and Self Reflection Makisha Fowler-Miller

Video Analysis and Self Reflection

Identifying What’s Important: The most important detail in my PBL is that students realize that math is used every day in the real world. I wanted students to realize that adding and subtracting decimals is a part of their everyday life from counting money, to how many miles they travel to and from school, to how many ounces of water they drink per day. 
The students were able to discover the connection of decimals to the everyday world by planning a daily itinerary of food, travel, and expense during their dream vacation.
Making Connections: The students quickly made connections with decimals and the real world. They were excited about being able to spend money anyway they liked. The students surprised me because I expected them to only add and subtract decimals but I soon realized that they were multiplying and dividing the cost for themselves as a group and individually. The students also quickly realized that money does not go far and had to do like many adults and rethink their plan. I had one student that told me that he had been bugging his mom about taking him on vacation but now he realizes how expensive it is and was not going to bug her anymore.
Incorporating Contextual Knowledge: To incorporate contextual knowledge, I grouped my students based on their different abilities. I had to separate my high flyers and group them with some of my students that I knew would have a hard time realizing different concepts. Grouping my students according to their ability opened up a completely new world to many of my students. The students quickly realized how important it was to include everyone and to make sure that every student was responsible for their part.

Drafting Next Steps: The next time I implement this project, I will be sure to find a travel agent that could come and speak with the class on their experience as a travel agent and how they accommodate different budgets. I would keep the silent debate at the beginning of the lesson but I would add other communication forms so all students could voice their opinions in a non-verbal way. I would make sure that my dream vacation would not influence in anyway their dream vacation. I want to be able to step back and only guide them when necessary. 

4 comments:

  1. I can completely understand how difficult it is to keep personal opinions (and dreams) from influencing students' decisions. I've struggled with this before when I've assigned travel/amusement park projects. However, I believe the students still want to hear about our dream travel places because it provides them with opportunities to connect with us. Finding a happy balance is difficult. Sounds like your project went extremely well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you brought budgeting to life for your students. I am struggling to budget now myself. I feel that a travel agent would give such great ideas for the students to incorporate into their project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your video reflection you shared how you able to see students apply the mathematical concepts from your standards in their budgets for their travel plans. I loved reading how you expected students to add and subtract decimals but saw that they began multiplying and dividing to figure out costs for themselves individually and for their groups. I also am glad that students saw the real life applications of this project and how expensive vacations can be and the importance of budgeting for them in advance. I agree with your next steps that having a travel agent come in and speak would be powerful.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having the speaker come in is a great way to spark interest in the project itself. Wonderful idea. How about getting a bunch of travel packets that lists prices and places as a way for students to get information. I get cruise packets in the mail all the time with prices.

    ReplyDelete