Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Course 2 Blog #3 Clark H. Maxwell- Student Agency

Student agency:

     As I looked over the NTN  Agency Rubric many of the categories stuck out to me.  Then, as I thought more about it, it came to me.  This is what coaching is all about.  We get athletes from each of the four columns in this chart.  Our goal is to get them to a point where they are being coached and not taught.   As coaches we challenge athletes to give their best effort all the time.  We build their confidence in little bits at a time in practice.  We show them video of how they did so they know what they need to work on.  The benchmark that they try to achieve is winning football games.
     In my class, I try to challenge students to give their best.  They always know where they stand when it comes time for fitness testing.  I challenge them to just get a couple of more reps, or laps each time.  The come to me and ask if they improved, and we celebrate if they did.  We also have a plan if they didn't.  Nothing written down, but a verbal agreement.  I want them to want to be the best version of themselves they can be, regardless of score.  Always give your best because regret is hard to live with.  For the most part this works well and for others it may take a little more relationship building with them.  They have to know that "I" want them to do their best all the time because I care.  The ones I get to that point really end up doing well.


The Power of Yet:

     Wow, this was great.  How great would it be to have a class full of students who strive to tackle things that they are not experts in?  To go outside the box in unknown territory and have to figure things out on their own.  We absolutely do not see this enough.  How much better would our schools operate if this were the case.  But, I believe, that this concept lies solely in the students themselves.  If you want to do better, want more for your future than what you have been living in, you can change that.  Yes, you may be facing an uphill battle for a long time.  In my experience, the students who tackle this head on are ones who end up making it in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Max,
    I found myself nodding in agreement as I read your post reflecting on student agency. Yes! Growing student agency in the classroom is the same process that we use on the football field or in the gym when we are coaching our athletes. We build on their strengths and what their current levels of performance are, strategically providing support and feedback to help grow them to the next level.
    I am glad that Dweck's video, "The Power of Yet" was helpful to you in explaining the concept of growth mindset and the importance of developing it through intentional learning opportunities in our students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete