Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Blog #3 Student Agency Makisha Fowler-Miller

Blog 3: Growth Mindset/Collaboration/Student Agency

The Growth Mindset vs. the Fixed Mindset- the Carol Dwerk video was very interesting! I have noticed that many of my students over the years have had a fixed mindset. It is very rare that I have encounter a student that has a growth mindset and that is disturbing for me. I have recently noticed since I have an honors class, that many of my honors students love a challenge and are intrigued by having the time to figure out things on their own while many of my low flyers choose to depend on my knowledge to further their understanding.


Student Agency: Looking at the NTN Agency Rubric, as a teacher, I often have a hard time getting students to use effort and practice to grow concept. If the student understands how to do a problem, the student feels great and does not mind the practice. However, when the student has a hard time grasping the concept they seem to have a hard time understanding why they should practice in order to grow their understanding. Another concept that I find difficult is having students find personal relevance in their everyday work. My goal is to work on introducing lessons to students using more real world applications. The final and largest concept of the rubric that stuck out to me was the seeking of feedback. My students do not show evidence of accepting and actively seeking feedback to revised work. They are usually content with whatever they turn in so I really need to work on this concept. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Makisha,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on the resources I provided our class with to help build student's agency through the development of a growth mindset. You shared how in viewing the New Tech agency rubric for middle school you wanted to work on helping students find personal relevance for their work through embedding real world applications into your lessons as well as helping students use effort and practice to grow. Like you, I believe one of the strategies that helps students use effort and practice to grow is through including ongoing opportunities for critique and revision through strategic feedback from myself and from their peers.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makisha,
    I have seen this growth vs. fixed mindset also. The CP classes need to be smaller and if they can't be smaller, we need another teacher in the class. The children need a great deal of motivation and are easily distracted. These children need individual support and that's impossible to provide even in a class of twenty. Nevertheless, you hit on the best way to get their attention and that's through real-world lessons.

    ReplyDelete