Monday, November 27, 2017

Sarah Golightly--Genius Hour--Blog 4

Genius Hour—Blog 4

The students chose a topic in which they felt they had both experience and expertise.  Students then researched facts about their chosen topic.  Since this was their first public speaking assignment of the year, I did not make the length of time long because I thought this might be too intimidating.  I told them they only had to speak for one minute, but many, if not all spoke longer than that. 

     Once again, the students were the driving force.  I was completely impressed by how outgoing the students were.  They sang, spoke, and played their instruments before their peers seemingly with no stress or anxiety.  In many way, my genius hour became a talent show.  Students were excited to showcase their musical and artistic abilities.

     Students ran into problems saving their information from day to day on our laptops.  They saved them on the H drive and then the next day would be unable to find them.  It would be far better if every student had their own flash drive. 


     I learned that we truly should not underestimate our students.  They have talents that just need to be polished.  I am sure that many of the students in my fifth period class have a new appreciation of their classmates now.  The students truly enjoyed this assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome genius hour! I also learned that our students should not be underestimated. I was amazed at how passionate they were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    Your description of your students' response to your Genius Hour project sounds amazing. Can you please provide a description of your Genius Hour project so we can understand the context of the assignment and what students were to be able to do and create. Also, if you can provide examples of student work from the Genius Hour project either through email and/or uploaded to your google drive folder.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete