Monday, November 27, 2017

Blog 4 Makisha Fowler-Miller Genius Hour

Genius Hour 

Genius hour was everything to my class! I have never had a class that was so excited about researching and telling each other about what they were interested in. I thought that I was going to have to go into detail about what genius hour was and spoon feed the students all the information that they needed and it was the exact opposite. I started my genius hour lesson by showing my students a short video about how genius hour got started. My students picked up from the video and soared. I had students that researched jobs that involved math. Jobs like computer programming, how to create a website, and cures for cancer. I have never seen my students so passionate about their work. The room was in total silent for two days. As I walked around the room, I was in awe! I didn't know my students had so much passion. I learned so much from my students. I honestly would not change a thing about genius hour and plan on using it more often in class. The students and their presentations were nothing short of amazing. Everyday, my students are asking me, Mrs. Miller is it Genius Hour Day!
I started my genius hour explaining how it came about. I launched my genius hour by having the students watch a short video that explained the purpose of genius hour. My driving questions were "What are you passionate about? What is one thing that you want to know about more than anything else?" The students were in awe and could not believe that I was going to let them decide what they wanted to learn! They were so excited and ready to start their project. My students were so passionate! I had several presentations that touched my heart. Students were able to tell me what they wanted to do when they grow up and give excellent reasons why. I will incorporate genius hour into more of my lessons. I think it is a great way for students to show me what they know and what they would like to know more about. If I had to improve anything about my genius hour, I would try to find a genius hour that went along with the math standard that I am teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Makisha,
    Your description of your students' response to your Genius Hour project sounds amazing. Can you please provide a description of your Genius Hour project so we can understand the context of the assignment and what students were to be able to do and create. Also, if you can provide examples of student work from the Genius Hour project either through email and/or uploaded to your google drive folder.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I corrected my Genius Hour!

    ReplyDelete