Monday, November 27, 2017

Blog post 3; Sarah Garner

Being in my first year of teaching I have learned so much about student abilities, motivation, and agency. I struggled to get my students to study, do their work, and pay attention during notes. Dr. Bismarck at USC Upstate challenged us new teachers to build more inquiry based lessons into our classroom. I was very skeptical at first, but I learned to love these types of assignments. These lessons allow the students to seek challenge and persevere through them. The students are confident in their knowledge because they discovered the content ON THEIR OWN. Through these assignments I have found that my students have more agency than if I were to just teach them the information. These assignments truly incorporate all aspects of the NTN Agency Rubric.  Carol Dweck's idea of Yet is the perfect idea when it comes to inquiry based assignments. The students might not understand the concept yet, but with perseverance and hard work they will learn to understand. As I watched the video I was thinking to my self, "How can I incorporate yet into my classroom." It is easy as a teacher to always tell the a student, "We have been working on this for days, there is no reason for you not to understand it." because of standardized tests. However, we always have to have the "yet" mindset. Keep motivating our students to learn and grow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I am glad that you had this formative experience with Dr. Bismarck at USC Upstate to create learning opportunities for our students that do challenge them to engage, to think critically, and to develop their own sense of agency. *In reviewing the New Tech Agency rubrics what specific criteria do you feel your students are strong in? Which areas do you feel need targeted growth? How can you incorporate this into your next unit of study for the spring?
    *You can answer and elaborate on these questions in a comment box.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete