Friday, August 3, 2018

1. Critical Friends was invaluable towards helping me reflect on my teaching process for PBL unit.  When we did this protocol yesterday it helped that I knew that Alana and Tieraney understood my students ability levels and therefore were able to offer valuable suggestions while knowing student limitations. It allowed me to come home and re-think my unit with focus of mind on the specifics that needed to be changed. In the video, you could tell that teachers appreciated their colleagues true reflection on what needed further thought because the teacher may have thought of it from a different perspective.


2. Before you are willing to risk being vulnerable you have to know that your team has your back an that they only want what is best for you and your students. I can see how it would be difficult to remain objective (team members) and keep from being defensive (teacher being evaluated) if there was conflict within the team. A class Alana and I took last week - Capturing Kid's Hearts - said the following: They won't care how much you know, unless they know how much you care. That is so true of our students. But, it is also true for us. We need to know that this critique comes from a place of care and concern. The whole process has to come from a place of trust and understanding.  I think we need to take more time to use backwards design to figure out where  we need students to go before we can get them there.


3. Beginning with "I like" & "I wonder" makes the critique a lot less threatening. Giving students a form to take notes on without names attached and having them write their answers might be the way to start. Then as trust develops, students may be more receptive to the opinions of their peers.

4. I will use the following protocols:
 *Pick A Stick (students who have their stick pulled get to answer) 
 *Give A Shout Out (teacher asks the question and all students answer out loud) Then...     *Turn and Talk to a partner to compare their answers
 *Paint the Picture create consensus picture

4 comments:

  1. I used the app pick a stick this year, and it made popsicle sticks so much easier. My kids like the sound effects too. :)
    Turn and talk is great for Spanish, too. I bet you'll like both of those protocols!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the pick a stick app with me. I have always used actual popsicle sticks but am excited to use virtual ones. I I have also used Turn and Talk a lot in these last couple of years and my kids love the chance to talk to their friends (and I get a little learning into them at the same time.)

      Delete
  2. Trust is the most important part of the "critical friend" protocol. Trust will encourage students to share their ideas, work or project with each other. Trust needs time to grow and strengthen before teachers use this protocol in the classroom. Yes, I also think trust is important between teaching colleagues especially those on the same grade level or team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    I am so glad that your critical friends protocol small group with Alana and Tieraney was helpful to you in refining your pbl experience for your kindergartners. You nailed the second question with your explanation of the importance of mutual trust and respect and understanding. You are exactly right, kids and adults alike will not care about how much you know or want to apply your suggestions if they don't first know that you care about them. For me this is why critical friends doesn't come in the first week of a pbl experience, but rather after a strong sense of community is built and support has been provided throughout the development of the unit. I am glad that you have found several beneficial protocols to include in your pbl experience.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete