Sunday, August 5, 2018

Final Reflections on Intro to PBL


What I Used to Think/But Now I Know
 Coming into this course, I already felt like I had a lot of background knowledge about project-based learning, as I had taken the Intro to PBL course online through Converse College this spring. And yes, I had actually accumulated a wealth of knowledge about the philosophy of project-based learning and why it should be “the way of the future.” And yes, I was already 100% on-board with using it in my classroom on a consistent basis. But, what I DIDN’T have was a solid grasp of the process for creating a true, authentic PBL unit. That changed EVERYTHING for me! After taking this class with our cohort, I realized I had gone through the process as a student of PBL and come out understanding so much more what it was like for the teacher and the learner. This is invaluable, because I had to live through the discomfort and the tough moments just like my students will, and I now trust the process because I can see all the ways I grew from enduring it. (P.S. I apologize for my sincere and complete lack of trust as we were in the throes of it!)
To me, project-based learning is a methods and a means for students to engage in authentic, real-world learning that has significance for them. It is a way of learning that is open-ended and requires investigation and a depth that we never see in rote learning of content. It utilizes student voice and choice, and results in more engaged students who feel that they matter in the process. It’s designing learning with the student at the heart of everything that we do, every decision that we make as educators, and more than anything, it values curiosity. What I love about PBL is that it connects to the Profile of the SC Graduate in all the most meaningful ways. PBL promotes creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and communication. I felt ALL of that as we went through Dawn’s PBL unit for us this week. We had to think outside the box, we talked almost constantly, we shared ideas and supported each other even when we were critiquing projects. We walked the walk! These skills are so important for our young people, and I’m so thankful to be in a state that recognizes the importance of more than just reading, ‘riting, and ‘rithmetic! It’s also good to see that PBL promotes self-direction, global perspective, and work ethic…. So many of the things that millenials are under attack for lacking. I think that by explicitly teaching these skills through models such as PBL, we are empowering our next generation to change the world.  
Sir Ken Robinson’s talk about students’ dreams definitely lit a fire under me as a teacher to honor my students and the unique gifts, talents, and interests that they bring into my room each day. We’ve known for years about the value of differentiation, but PBL makes it so that every child gets what he or she needs every day without creating ten different assignments. They come at the project with their own history, their own voice, and their own passions, and because the assignments in PBL are more open-ended, the students have the freedom to get behind the wheel and drive their own learning using the strengths and improving their weaknesses through the process. (Just like I had to do this week!)

From here, I will move forward with PBL integration into my classroom with the confidence to know that, no matter how tough the road is, it is going to make a difference in my students’ lives. When I’m in the shadow of the valley, I will remember that nothing matters more than creating an engaging classroom environment that honors curiosity, and I will just keep holding on, knowing that in time, things will get easier and my students and I will be better for it.
Thank you for EVERYTHING, Dawn. You are an inspiration for us all, and I can't wait to continue this journey with all of you magical ladies! Happy back to school, y'all! :))))

2 comments:

  1. I admire your excitement to learn and to implement project-based learning. You have an enthusiasm for teaching that all of us should have every day. Your students will enjoy learning more about themselves and then sharing that information with their classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael,
    I can't tell you how thankful I am that you were a part of this course and that our journeys joined this summer for all kinds of growth to happen. While you could have easily continued with the online pbl cohort at Converse I am thankful that you decided to take the first class again with us at Furman. I know you knew a lot coming in and I appreciate so very much your enthusiasm and passion for this work and for the profession of education. You do not have to apologize for any moment during the week because in all things you exhibit how much your students matter. In reading your final blog reflection I found myself nodding my head in agreement in your connections of the Profile of the SC Graduate, Sir Kin Robinson's Ted Talk, and the Four C's with the project based learning approach and I am very thankful that you benefitted from experiencing a pbl yourself this week as we worked together as colleagues to improve our own pbl experiences. My favorite line from your reflection that will carry all of us on into the fall is, "From here, I will move forward with PBL integration into my classroom with the confidence to know that, no matter how tough the road is, it is going to make a difference in my students’ lives." Yes!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete