Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Rachael Le Mee Post #2: Main Course Projects

This article is one of the first I had read about PBL, and it's the one that really helped to differentiate for me what I was doing (dessert projects) from what it is to be a project-based teacher. Reading it again is JUST as meaningful, and I found my first copy where I'd highlighted and taken notes all over it, and it's cool to see how much my understanding has changed over the past 8 months.

By having the project as the main course (instead of dessert), there is room for all these amazing elements to come into play. We have our students digging in deeply through sustained inquiry because they have need-to-knows from the start, they have voice and choice in the process, there are chances for critique and revision, and they get to showcase their project and new understandings to an authentic audience who has bought-in to what they're doing or learning. The project isn't just a synthesis of what's been learned when it's the main course.... it's the actual road map to understanding!

To make sure that my classroom has project-based learning as the main course, I need to stay on top of planning and be sure to begin with the end in mind. You have to know where you want to end up to be able to guide your students and support them along the way.

The supports I will need to make this happen include support from my administrators and colleagues, plenty of chances to critique and revise the plans for my projects, room to grow and make mistakes, and uninterrupted time for planning during my school day. I also need to be sure to help my students buy-in to this ideology by showing them how it can transform their thinking and their lives.

When colleagues or administration want to know about my PBL intentions, I will explain that I am on the learning curve, but I want to reach my students in powerful ways by making project-based learning and inquiry the primary learning methods in my classroom. I will express how important it is to me for my children to not have their curiosity crushed out of them, and that I will do everything in my power to make learning real and authentic for them.... and that means using PBL with some frequency and inquiry on the daily!

3 comments:

  1. Rachael,
    Student buy-in is key! If they feel and see the importance and connection to real-life, they should buy-in to the process! I am excited to see how this unfolds for me as well as all of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the importance of planning. I think planning is the difference between teaching a "main course" project and a dessert project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachael,
    I love your description of an authentic pbl as a road map. That is accurate! A "main course" pbl is a journey from start to finish that requires students to think critically and engage in the process and work towards the product throughout. Your enthusiasm for this approach and your gift for clearly articulating not only what you believe, but also why you believe it will not only lead to positive student outcomes but will also generate support for this approach and for you as a pbl practitioner. I can't wait to see it in action this August!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete