Thursday, August 2, 2018

Kelsey Grant Post 4

1. Using feedback from your peers, you are able to reflect upon your teaching process and its effectiveness.  By evaluating what they see in the students' work versus what your goal for the assignment was, they can help you to gauge both the students' understanding and implementation of the assignment as well as your effectiveness at communicating and teaching it.  You become more critical of your own work and raise your expectations for yourself along with your students.  It's also helpful for ideas and collaboration among your peers.

2. The whole process has to come from a place of trust and understanding.  Constructive criticism from your peers, when given from a place of genuine care for improvement, can be incredibly insightful.  You also physically need the planning time together to be able to break down an assignment/unit/project.

3. You could easily guide the students through this protocol and allow them to try it with one of their group assignments.  Explain constructive feedback, remind them to use "I like" and "I wonder" statements, and teach them to listen for understanding.  This is also an opportunity to practice note-taking skills, critical listening, and delivering questions and answers in a succinct format.

4. I will use several protocols, including the gallery walk for teacher-student AND student-student feedback on the rough draft outlines of their projects.  I will also use a consensus protocol after introducing music in rituals so that my student groups can find similarities across their cultures and pick out common themes.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I do believe that this protocol could be used at the upper elementary/middle/high school level. It was very helpful today and allowed me to also reflect on my own unit. I don't know if you were like me and got completely overwhelmed with the creation and re-creation of the unit. I kept finding things I was missing and/or duplicates of some things. Your students are so blessed to have you. I can tell that you are a fun teacher who also can be serious when evaluating your own work. I have learned a lot from your vulnerability this week and have really enjoyed getting to know you this week. I hope you have a wonderful start to your year and I will see you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey,
    I am glad that you found the protocols embedded throughout our first pbl course helpful and plan to use them in your pbl experience for your students. I believe the consensus protocol will be helpful to students after you introduce music in rituals so students are able to reflect on their own cultures while also looking for the similarities in other cultures as well.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Trust and a sense of community are a must if teachers are going to be open to using the critical friends tuning protocol effectively! I noticed you are planning to use the gallery walk protocol, and knowing your project, I think that will be a powerful way for your students to connect with each other's ideas and push each other to a deeper level of thinking! Can't wait to hear how it goes this fall!

    ReplyDelete