Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Tieraney Rice Final Blog Post Assignment

I Used To Think:

qA quiet classroom meant that students were fully engaged in an assignment
qA quiet classroom=excellent teaching and classroom management
qHaving students complete a project after a unit was effective


But Now I Know:

qThe only way a teacher knows how engaged students are in an activity is to watch and listen to the students communicate with each other in a classroom
qA busy classroom=excellent teaching and student expectations have been modeled, practiced, and discussed
qThere is a difference between projects and Project Based Learning



Project Based Learning (PBL) is an approach where students learn the material from completing a project that is driven by a driving question.  These are not projects where students simply apply what they have learned from traditional instruction.  John Larmer and John R. Mergendoller of the Buck Institute for Education 2010 refer to the PBL approach as “The Main Course.”   They refer to students simply doing a project after completing a unit as the “dessert.”  Unfortunately, I have to admit that I’ve spent most of my time as a teacher creating “desserts” instead of ”main courses.”  Oh, how that is about to change!



I’ve learned that PBL allows students to think critically, problem solve, collaborate with classmates, make changes, and be creative.  I think a huge part of it is also that although the project is fueled by a driving question, the students can take it in other directions at any point.  When this happens, the teacher has to be flexible and willing to make changes in the plan.  The teacher acts a the facilitator, which makes the learning process so much more meaningful to the students. 
This focus on serving “Main Courses” in my classroom and not “Desserts” is going to cause me to be more thoughtful and flexible in my planning.  I will no longer jump in quickly to solve problems for my students while they are working.  Instead, I will lead them to problem solve and make discoveries on their own.  I’m looking forward to being a true facilitator, and not a teacher who dominates.  I’m also looking forward to creating more projects with my students that connect to the real world. 
As I planned my project with this cohort, I experienced exactly what I expect from my students as they engage in the project.  I had to do much critical thinking as I planned the activities and protocols for the unit.  I had to be creative starting with the title of the unit down to the public product.  The collaboration with other members of the cohort was priceless.  Through protocols like the Gallery Walk, Critical Friends and many others, I received a lot of feedback that caused me to make changes and/or add to my project.  Because of the communication we experienced with each other, I have a better project now than what I started with.   I am beyond excited to watch my students experience these things as well.  In the words of Dr. Seuss, “Oh, the places we’ll go!”  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tieraney,
    I enjoyed reading your final blog post and could almost hear your voice in my head as I read each component. I appreciate so very much your enthusiasm for this work, your passion for early childhood education, and most of all your commitment to providing the very best educational experiences for each one of your students. Thank you for the thought you put in to reflecting on where you started and what you have learned throughout the course. You are not the only one who started in dessert mode, but we are now ready to provide our students with a full meal of sustained inquiry and student led instruction. Like you I want to become more and more intentional about providing my students with opportunities to make learning decisions and to grow from them. I am excited about what your students will learn from the journey into healthy foods you have created for them and our next step in our pbl journey.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete