Thursday, August 2, 2018

Kathy Feigenbaum - Post #4


1.  We need to continue to learn, too!  In order to do so, we need to take time to stop and reflect upon our practice. One of the benefits of participating in this Cohort is getting feedback from other teachers. "Critical friends" is a way for us to receive the feedback, enhance self-reflection, and revise our work accordingly.
2.  In order for the critical friends protocol to work in a school, teachers need to be in agreement and very trusting of each other. The level of comfort is so important. Many teachers would avoid it if it were not required.
3. This protocol could be used with students within a Project Based Learning experience. They may need some reminding of the structure/rules. I know I did. :)
4. Two of the protocols I'm using in my first PBL are (pizza) consensus for ideas about learning foreign language and a gallery walk closer to the end of the project (but still leaving time for revision,)

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I agree that we need to continue to learn. I can remember when I first started teaching, my principal said, "There are teachers who are willing to learn and there are teachers who are still teaching the way they taught their very first year of teaching. Which one do you want to be? I thought that was a strange question to ask. Now, that I have been teaching 22 years, I get exactly what she was saying. I want to be a teacher who learns from both my successes and failures. The main reason I wanted to take this course was so that I would continue to grow in my career. This has really made me reflect and take stock of where I am on my educational journey. We have to be willing to be vulnerable and risk being given correction in order to keep moving forward. The gallery walk has always been one of my favorite protocols. But, I have learned to love critical friends for the role it played in molding my PBL. I have enjoyed meeting you and can't wait to work together in the fall. Here's to hoping your year begins on a great note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    I am glad that you see the value in using the critical friends protocol for both students and teachers. I agree with you that in order for each to be effective there has to be an environment based on mutual respect and trust. You also brought up a good point about the importance of having a visual of the protocol to remind participants of the structure. I am glad you are using the pizza consensus and the gallery walk in your pbl experience with your middle school students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, structure and explicit teaching of the protocol are going to be essential if we try this with our own students!!! I loved how we had it all written out on a chart with the steps... definitely something I will do with my kids when I use it. Can't wait to see how the process goes in the "real world" classroom with 6th graders!

    ReplyDelete