Saturday, August 4, 2018


Project-Based Learning – What I Used To Think/But Now I Know                      By: Tina Sanders
After my school decided to end its affiliation with the International Baccalaureate program, I was devastated because I knew that it was a form of best-practice teaching. I used to think that Project-Based Learning was just my ticket out of the oblivion of teaching in a manner that was less than ideal. It would allow me to teach my students the way I, as a learner, would want to be taught. It turns out that IB and PBL are similar and different with each having its own vocabulary but, if down right, they are both actually a form of best practice teaching.

I have discovered that PBL goes hand in hand with the Profile of a South Carolina graduate because it has a focus on STEM through the use of integration. The overall graduate plan is very closely aligned with PBL.  Just a few examples of how closely tied they are found below:
SC Graduate                  = PBL
Rigorous Standards        = Key Knowledge, Understanding, & Success Skills
Authenticity                     = Global Perspective
Sustained Inquiry            = Teaching Kids How To Learn

Sir Ken Robinson inspired me by reminding me of how important it is to remember the dreams I had as a child. This connects me to my students because I recall some of the teachers who inspired me but all of the teachers who squelched my dreams and eagerness to learn. Being in this class this week helps me remember why I became a teacher. Over the years, I have allowed the demands of the job to get in the way of my passion which is to encourage my kids to be passionate about learning. I am eager to get my team on board with PBL. I am going to share my unit with them on Tuesday with the hopes that they will see the how important the role of the teacher is as the facilitator of learning. I am also going to share this project with my principal in the hopes that she will see a change in the way my students learn.

Friday’s share is one that I will always remember. Having the opportunity to show my project with educators who were outside of the cohort was an invaluable experience. The other class participants had heard my pitch throughout the week so having a fresh perspective was just what I needed to launch me further into the main course of PBL. I am so thankful for your enthusiasm for this cohort. I am beyond grateful that I “accidentally” found this class while perusing my email. The 4C’s were found throughout the class. I used Critical Thinking when building my project and evaluating the other teacher’s projects. I was able to find creative solutions to the problem of teaching science. (Often times, we are encouraged to focus our time on ELA and Math. Then if there is time, throw in a little Science & Social Studies.) By incorporating ELA into the Magnet PBL I am able to cover multiple standards at one time. Collaboration and Communication were woven through the week. It was very useful to the overall PBL cohort experience. Thank you again for making it feel like a family and not a class. I feel like I could talk with anyone in the cohort and get honest feedback on my current and future PBL projects.

2 comments:

  1. It is a great idea to share your project with the other teachers on your team. With your enthusiasm I believe you can create an atmosphere where they would want to travel on this journey with you. In the past I have seen many examples of how you care about your students. You are an excellent teacher and project-based learning will help you to continue on your current path of being an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    I am thankful that your journey with successfully implementing an IB program led you to project based learning. I am glad that through reading and researching project based learning through our first class you were able to find both similarities and differences that can enhance your implementation of inquiry based, student driven curriculum.
    Your post really meant a lot to me in that you took the time to share with us that the class has helped you remember why you entered the profession. It does the same thing for me every year too Tina! Being a part of like minded colleagues who may come from different schools and different experiences and grade levels but who come together because of our shared desire to make education engaging and inspiring for our students re-energizes my love for this profession too.
    I am also glad that Friday's presentation was helpful and that you were able to experience first-hand the benefits of an authentic audience outside of the four walls of a "classroom." Being able to provide that same experience for our students can also be empowering to them, not only for that one project, but for the next learning progression. Thank you Tina!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete